old bike 1987 RRs 12 28 yrs old

andyj007

Retro Newbie
Righto hi

having been addicted to the tdf in 86 then 87 when roche won the giro, the tour and the world champs that year.. i finally gave in and decided i needed a road bike to replace my well used BMX with mag wheels..
My parents scrimped and saved and purchased the best bike they could for me, for my birthday..
we are unsure exactly what year although feb 86 is our best guess...
i remember walking into the LBS in town with dribble coming out of the corner of my mouth looking at at the RS12 .. lets not forget at an age easily led and impressed age, Id just started watch the f1 with the black and gold jps lotus racing cars....
I walked out that shop with the biggest grin ever.. luckily i was a tall lad even at that age, and with mum & dad probably wanting to make sure that the hard earned cash would be spent wisely insisted on a probably larger frame size than i needed at that time...
I can remember dragging that bike upstairs to my bedroom to sleep with it in my room, not that i did much sleeping.
I rode that bike everywhere, i had a saturday job gardening 7 miles away, a couple of years later a evening job in a model shop. in town 5 miles away . I went out on special rides after watching the tour on TV, i got my first real sense of freedom on that bike... of ownership,, of love, even of desperation when it got stolen!!! it didn't actually get stolen i had left it lying up against a stone wall at the local shop on the main road... it was still there in the morning........ (try doing that now!)
Honestly i thought i was good enough to be a pro cyclist in the tour... i mean how hard could it be...
then............
Cars, girls,motorbikes...
But the good news i still have the bike!!.. I've part restored it over the years, and its still in real good nick..
i had previously striped all the stickers off it, probably though it was cool or perhaps it was me that invented the stealth look.. and put some gold stickers on it though not original..
now having got seriously back interested in cycling again with my modern road bikes, its time to once again dig the RRS 12 from the back of the garage, and carry out this time a proper restoration with original parts, or parts in keeping with the eighties to a showroom used condition.. to take out on special days of warm sunshine and clean smooth roads!
I'm going to make a list of parts i think i need so hopefully you guys can point me in the correct direction.
to start obtaining..
pictures to follow.

Andy j

The frame number will give you an indication of when it was new, plus the spec as they changed in 1987

Click on the RRS link in my signature to see mine which is nearly finished!

(and if you need decals, I know a man who can do them from my NOS set for you)

;-)

Re:

hi ya... and thanks, your bike is looking brilliant..
i have gold cables, one water bottle, black rims weinhman rims
can't read the identity number as its underneath a cable guide
has oval tubing...

will definitely need decals, i purchased gold raleigh name ones last year, but want to get something more original... if the decals are for the correct year then information to obtain a set would be very much appreciated..

regards

Andy

Depending on the spec then it's somewhere between 1984 and 1986 then.

The '84 one had a Shimano Golden Arrow rear mech and a Gold Thun Chainset

The later ones had the Sugino GT Chainset with Gold crank arms and black chain wheels. Not sure what the rear mech's were though

I'll PM you re: decals

It's under the bottom bracket on mine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RALEIGH-Recor ... 48677811dd That's a silver version of the stickers, if you phone them up they'll do the gold ones for you. Or there's MrW's man.

How many of us have these bikes on here? We should team up and infiltrate a club run. RRS Cult!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Bats":3usf8utk said:
It's under the bottom bracket on mine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RALEIGH-Recor ... 48677811dd That's a silver version of the stickers, if you phone them up they'll do the gold ones for you. Or there's MrW's man.

How many of us have these bikes on here? We should team up and infiltrate a club run. RRS Cult!

That's Raleigh all over, frame number here, frame number there...

H Lloyd (whom the silver ones on eBay are from) don't do them in shiny gold, its matte finish. My man can do nice shiny ones! ;-)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back