1978 Motobecane brought back to life

Kingstonian

Retro Newbie
Have had this bike since 1987 or so when it was given to me by a kindly neighbour. Hadn't ridden it since 1995 and decided to bring it back to life a couple of months ago.

Had the frame resprayed in Jaguar Maroon, a colour they used on sports cars in the 1950's. I hated the bike's original green.

Bought replacement brake levers and rear derailleur on ebay, and had a bike workshop in Walton on Thames do the respray and build it up for me.

Have ridden it around Richmond Park a few times since it was finished and I LOVE it !!! Rides really well, the new Brooks saddle (the old one was beyond repair) is super comfortable, and I'm just so pleased the bike is back on the road again. I won't use it a lot, just the occasional ride, but whenever I get her out she will put a smile on my face.

great choice on the brake levers,.like your right lever fr brake. i just wondered if there was a way
to loop them up and cross and tie like a right/rear system any one ?

oonaff":3246cnqu said:
great choice on the brake levers,.like your right lever fr brake. i just wondered if there was a way
to loop them up and cross and tie like a right/rear system any one ?

Maybe - if someone had a pic of a similar set-up I'd take a look and see if it was possible.

Brake levers are Weinmann, by the way.

just looked again sorry to both or sound patronising or nerdy or knicker wearing.
your fr brake cables fit on the left of the calliper so its a sraight forward loop up and left of the stem behind the bars. left lever/rear should cross over this nice a un known distance to m self above the stem[prob 8"] right of the stem to its guides .
germany just scored im going to watch the footy now by.....

Nice Motobecane and great to see another too.

Not fault picking but look at the picture of the rear mech! See the joining link on the chain!
Not connected properly and stiff so may jump as you pedal! Rock the chain from side to side to loosen it.

Back