Dawes identification kindly required

mrcpea

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi,
Picked up this Dawes from someone who was going to skip it!
Not really sure what it is. He said he bought it in 1977 and last rode it in 1982.
It's not in the best of shape and I haven't started cleaning it yet. The rims have rusted through, but although the hubs are rusty, they spin very smoothly, which amazed me. Another plus is that the seatpost and stem move as well :)

It's a 60cm frame and not overly heavy, it doesn't have a bolt on rear derailleur, but one that slots into the frame, but it does appear to be seized up.
It has weinmann 730 brake calipers
Will this be worth doing something with?
I don't really know much about removing cottered cranks, but I'd love and really appreciate some input from the experts in here.

Huge thanks

Rich :D

Attachments

• DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 1,500
  • DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,500
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 1,501
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 1,502
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 1,501
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,501
  • DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 1,501
Re:

A few more as I received the bike :)

Attachments

• DSCF0015.JPG
    DSCF0015.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 1,498
  • DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,498
  • DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,498
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,497
  • DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,497
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,498
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 1,498
Re:

Looks like a tricky one ...

Have you seen the 1977 Dawes Catalogue here: http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/catalogs/ ?

The decals and headbadge seem to confer that this is a circa. 1977 model but I can't tell which one. There will be a date stamp on the back of the brake calipers. (circle of digits with a year in the centre).

It has got a GB Neta stem which appears to have been fitted to the higher end models, but it has cottered cranks, which were fitted to the lower models.
The nearest model matching your bike I would say is the Chevron from the 1977 catalogue, but the colour doesn't fit. Maybe its a 1975 or 76 Chevron?

The mudguards look much older to me, maybe from a late 1950's/early 1960's bike, I think Bluemels guards were a different profile in the 70's.

Anyway thats my view, sorry if you are no wiser!

As to removing the cotter pins, I've had mixed fortunes with them, 3 out of 4 removed - 1 crank cut off with grinder, despite long soaks in WD40.

-----
Bruce

Re:

Good lord!

I have never seen rims do that. The paint onthe frame must be tough as old boots. I'd just keep an eye out for internal corrosion.

Re: Re:

twosheds":30rb9mb5 said:
Looks like a tricky one ...

Have you seen the 1977 Dawes Catalogue here: http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/catalogs/ ?

The decals and headbadge seem to confer that this is a circa. 1977 model but I can't tell which one. There will be a date stamp on the back of the brake calipers. (circle of digits with a year in the centre).

It has got a GB Neta stem which appears to have been fitted to the higher end models, but it has cottered cranks, which were fitted to the lower models.
The nearest model matching your bike I would say is the Chevron from the 1977 catalogue, but the colour doesn't fit. Maybe its a 1975 or 76 Chevron?

The mudguards look much older to me, maybe from a late 1950's/early 1960's bike, I think Bluemels guards were a different profile in the 70's.

Anyway thats my view, sorry if you are no wiser!

As to removing the cotter pins, I've had mixed fortunes with them, 3 out of 4 removed - 1 crank cut off with grinder, despite long soaks in WD40.

-----
Bruce

Many thanks for that and a superb link to various Catalogue. I think you're right, it could be a chevron, but now I have quite a bit to go on.
I've found quite a bit of info about removing cotter pins, one including a vice and a large nut! also mentioned on the sheldon brown site is drilling them out. I will have aplay and let you know, as I've decided to strip the frame and go from there :)

Huge thanks again

Richard :D

Re: Re:

Goldie":26ga8nqo said:
Good lord!

I have never seen rims do that. The paint onthe frame must be tough as old boots. I'd just keep an eye out for internal corrosion.

Hi,
Yes the paint is very hard and there seems to be no serious rusting right through either!
I will take the bike to bits and see.

Thanks for your valued input :)

Richard :)

Re:

Looking forward to seeing this project progress. If you can revive that frame it will be an awesome achievement!
Glad you remembered to take pictures before stripping down, I'm always too keen to get my hands dirty.
When you get it stripped to a bare frame the weight should give you another clue to the model. I have a 23" Reynolds 531 plain gauge tubing frame and it weighs 2500g, and another 22" 'gas pipe' frame that weighs around 2750g. The weight will give you a clue to the tubing and where it sits in the Dawes range of the day.
Anyway good luck with it - keep us posted.

-----
Bruce

just to bump the thread ........

thanks for the link...........................BLOODY HECK

and I thought mine was 'rough'..... :shock:

never seen cables rusted so bad that the caliper spring tension snapped them

how's progress.?

john

Hi all :)
So, slight progress made in this project.
Had a few busy days recently, but had a day off today, so decided to to get to work on the paint and remove it from the frame. I found the best tool for this was an angle grinder equipped with a circular wire brush (wear goggles and ear muffs if you attempt this) Paint stripper wasn't up to the job as the paint was armor plated!
The Dawes bars are quite nice as is the GB stem. I will do a leather bar wrap in brown with green stitching I think.
The Wheels, freewheel,chain and brake calipers are toast :mrgreen:

I cut off the safety levers and saved the brakes that were on there. Since then I've bought some rather nice Drilled weinmann brake levers to use on the finished machine, and will search for some brown hoods.
The serial number on the non drive side dropout is H3366. I'm not great with this thing and would gladly appreciate some advice if anyone knows
Pretty pleased with the frame. I will silver solder a few bits of rust pitting, with a propane torch and some flux and silver solder, then rub it down, then get it off for blasting and Powdercoating. I think I'm going to coat it in a nice Olive Green and line the lugs in either Brown or Gold :)
Anyway, a few progress pics for you including the cranks that I cut off with my 9" angle grinder as after drilling the cotter pins out, the damn things still wouldn't budge.

Cheers

Rich

Attachments

• new levers.jpg
    new levers.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,200
  • bars brakes.jpg
    bars brakes.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,200
  • 04 crank.jpg
    04 crank.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,200