Holdsworth Super Mistral

jules_b

Old School Hero
Last year I bought what appeared to be a Super Mistral and after a little further research managed to confirm this and place it as a 1967 model, which was the top model at the time as the Professional had not come out yet. The bike, on receipt was a good runner but definitely in need of some TLC. It had a nice smattering of Campagnolo gear (Victory chainset, Gran Sport front derailleur, Nuovo Record Rear and hubs) whilst also having Universal Brakes and a very grubby looking Brooks Professional Saddle (dated 1966). The paint had definitely seen better days and it had appeared that someone had chased off the cable guides and drilled crappy ones to the other side of the top tube.

The rear triangle was chromed but very pitted whilst the forks were beautiful Cinelli style (original – matching serial number) chromed pics which I thought could be rescued with a little scrubbing. It had the beautiful wrapover seat stay too. Pics of how I received it below;

14209220856_6302e6eaaf_z.jpg

14229084671_892c6894ac_z.jpg

14252571393_903b6ab2d8_z.jpg

First thing I did was book it into Mario Vaz, strip the bike down completely (or nearly completely – those damn “self-releasing” crank bolts!!!). I have wanted a Holdsworth in team colours forever but I was aware that there have been a few of them kicking around (even the lower down models) so I decided to do something slightly different and customise the head tube colours. A bit fussy but adds a bit of personality. The colour scheme was available for Super Mistrals by request and having seen some pictures of team riders on them, felt that this definitely deserved it!

Whilst I waited I got to work on restoring all the parts. Plenty of googling and plenty of different methods used and managed to get everything looking pretty good. Vinegar and salt seemed to work well and did a few domestic cleaners. The derailleurs came out well and I quite liked the uniqueness of the Universal Brakes (which Holdsworth used to import). The Brooks saddle I was particularly proud of. I cleaned it well, polished the chrome and it literally drank loads of proof hide which it desperately needed. A bit of scrubbing brought out the copper rivets beautifully and it ended up looking really good and characterful. It is definitely the most comfortable saddle I own by far and appears to have had a little circumcision at some point!

Popping on to Ebay I bought some blue cables and had to buy some drilled Campagnolo Super Record Brakes which I have always thought looked awesome.

Two weeks later and as promised, I went to pick up my frame and was really impressed at how it looked. He almost seemed apologetic about the lug lining (which I had specifically asked for) for some reason but I was very happy with it and took it home to begin the assembly. Pics below

14209397586_e313689f37_z.jpg

14045999278_09db0b87ee_z.jpg

a few months later and the bike now looks like this! I have replaced the cranks with Record ones and bar tape with Brooks blue leather tape. I am currently waiting for my record front Derailleur to turn up along with the cable guides and should be more or less ready (until I decide to replace the brakes). I have also changed the tyres (as the old ones were trashed).

14172110064_f66325116d_c.jpg

I am currently experimenting with a Rolls saddle (which is slightly off angle in this picture) but I should be putting the Professional back on it soon!

Lush, I'm thinking of doing something similar with a 1969 SuperM I got recently..

Love the work on this, well done.

Re:

I have an 81 professional frame which I am about to sell if you are interested! Lovely bike just surplus for me.

Cheers Biggs682 it rides perfectly thanks and I make sure I use it regularly (pretty much my daily commuter in good weather at the moment)

Latest posts

Back