Joe Waugh 653

originalshinkicker

rBotM Winner
I recently acquired a beautiful dark green metallic Joe Waugh built with Reynolds 653. M Steels, the bike shop in Gosforth that built these (and which Joe Waugh still owns and runs), is just a couple of mile up the road from me, so as soon as I have time, I'll check with them for the date it was built.

At first glance it looks like a really nice bike. The paint work is lovely and has been renovated at some point in its life. However, it does have a few problems with normal wear and tear. The whole drivetrain is worn. The chain is hanging off the inner chain ring, and that's without putting any pressure on the pedals. So that means new cassette and chain together with a new chain ring. The rear mech also has Tacx wheels fitted which are too narrow. The cage in the mech is now too narrow for the chain and also means that the bolts holding the wheels in place protrude too far out of the back of the rear mech.

Most of the chromed parts and fastenings are corroded as you can see on the pivot bolt of the front brake.

The main issues are the handlebars and STI levers. It has a mis-match of levers, an RSX and 105 lever, both showing the signs of age and a hard life. They are attached to a rather bent set of Cinelli 42 bars. Unfortunately, the bars are so bent, they actually currently measure up at 40 - that's a significant bend.

So, after a little bit of looking around, I've found some nice straight bars, Cinelli 65-44; some new 105 aero brake levers, 7 speed down tube levers, a new chainset, new chain and a good cassette. New 105 calipers will also be fitted along with a good 105 rear mech.

It has a Rolls saddle, Campagnolo aero seatpin, good Mavic rims and spokes and a clean Cinelli XA stem, so some new white Ambrosio handlebar tape and new black cables will finish it nicely.

First thing to do this weekend is strip it down and give that frame a good clean.

Attachments

• Joe Waugh 653.jpg
    Joe Waugh 653.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,875
  • Joe Waugh 653 Worn Out.jpg
    Joe Waugh 653 Worn Out.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,875
  • Joe Waugh 653 Corrosion.jpg
    Joe Waugh 653 Corrosion.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,876
  • Joe Waugh 653 Handlebars.jpg
    Joe Waugh 653 Handlebars.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,875
  • Joe Waugh 653 Parts.jpg
    Joe Waugh 653 Parts.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,875
After everything else came off the frame relatively easily, I was gutted when the stem would not budge! Stuck solid.

After a night with penetrating oil, and a morning spent with a big stick, hammer and plenty of twisting, the stem is out! Really didn't want to trash the stem so really pleased I managed to save it.

The very last thing I need to remove is the seized front caliper recessed fastening

Attachments

• Joe Waugh 653 Stem Stuck.jpg
    Joe Waugh 653 Stem Stuck.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,776
  • Joe Waugh 653 Stem Out.jpg
    Joe Waugh 653 Stem Out.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,776
Nonchalantly placed raleigheam bike in background. Just checking in for updates. I like a nice build.

That stem looks nasty, probably due to turbo trainer workouts, mind and check your headset whilst your at it.

Coming along nicely

The History Man":3v21hgy0 said:
Nonchalantly placed raleigheam bike in background. Just checking in for updates. I like a nice build.

I know, it's a problem with too many bikes and little space. The Raleighs get moved to the Kitchen when the tools come out though.

Stem should clean up nicely and the races of the headset don't look bad either. The headset isn't the best looking from the outside but finding a 105 Headset isn't easy :-(

Just finished attacking the seized and rounded allen key bolt on the front caliper.

A very badly corroded allen key fitting, rounded and stuck solid - drilled out to 6.5mm from 5mm, an oversize allen key knocked in which splits the thinned out head of the bolt and releases some of the grip on the brake - it then winds out very easily.

Attachments

• Joe Waugh 653 Caliper Bolt.jpg
    Joe Waugh 653 Caliper Bolt.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,752
Sat in the sun in the garden last night and gave the frame and forks a clean with a brush and soapy water, followed by a little wax. It now shines.

Everything is already to build back up - together with a box full of bits that I'll keep as spares.

Now that the dirt under the shell has gone and I can see the frame number, I'll have a trip to M Steels shop in Gosforth to see if they can give me an idea of when it was built.

Attachments

• Joe Waugh 653 Lugs.jpg
    Joe Waugh 653 Lugs.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,712
  • Joe Waugh 653 Cinelli Shell.jpg
    Joe Waugh 653 Cinelli Shell.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,712
  • Joe Waugh 653 Old and New.jpg
    Joe Waugh 653 Old and New.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,712
After a few tweeks today, this bike is now finished.

Rolls saddle swapped to an original Flite Titanium
Shimano SPDs swapped to original LOOK PP pedals
RSX STIs swapped to new 7sp downtube shifters and 105 brake levers
Cinelli XA stem and Chorus seatpin retained
New 105 rear mech
New 105 headset
New 105 chainset
New UN55 107mm BB
New cassette
New chain
New 105 brake calipers
Replacment 65-44 Cinelli bars