Colnago laid bare

MrRichardHudson

Dirt Disciple
I thought I'd share pics of my new bike/project. I've taken bikes apart before, but it's the putting them back together that I never get around to! This one will be different. I've always wanted a Colnago - I picked this up from eBay. My first challenge was the headset - see the thread: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=294920
The headset is now off and the frozen forks have been extracted. Now the fun begins :)

I haven't managed to crack what model the bike is yet. There is no number on the frame which (from what I've read) suggests it's an early frame. It also has 126mm rear spacing. There also aren't any stickers to label what frame material it's made from either.

The bike has been upgraded from 7 speed to 8 speed. Wheel hubs are both mixed as well. Mavic on the front and Campag on the rear. Anyhow, it doesn't matter if I don't find out what it was originally - I'll just enjoy the project.

My initial shopping list includes: Selle Italia saddle, Record headset (new?), Chorus brake callipers and pedals. I'm sure it will grow...

Attachments

• Colnago-dismantled-bike.jpg
    Colnago-dismantled-bike.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 1,118
  • Colnago-frame.jpg
    Colnago-frame.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,118
  • Colnago-BB.jpg
    Colnago-BB.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,118
  • Calnago-when-bought-May2014.jpg
    Calnago-when-bought-May2014.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,118
Looks like a Mexico, with the Colnago stamped into the chain stay. I can't tell if the seat stay cap is engraved as well but with the recess brakes I would guess about 1980.

I hadn't thought about exploring early 80s. Looking at some of the catalogues, the paintwork looks close to mine. I had thought this may have been resprayed at some time. Maybe not. Here are a few more detail shots.

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,066
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,066
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,066
  • DSC_0003 2.jpg
    DSC_0003 2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,066
  • DSC_0002 2.jpg
    DSC_0002 2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,066
Now that I have closer look I think my first assessment was off. The sloping fork crown along with the braze on front mech hanger make i more likely a late 80s to early 90s build. Also if the paint is original that would be another indicator of 90s.

Hi,

A question - are the cable guides on the down tube "original" equipment or are the guides attached to what were originally braze-on bosses for down tube shifters?

If the guides are originals, then the frame is definitely 1989 or probably later, since most Colnago frames were - as far as I can recall - supplied with down tube braze-ons until well in to 1989, possibly right in to 1990.

colnagolover

Should have left 'em alone ... or are you going back to down tube shifters.

Whole heap of trouble now ...

Back