LOOK Cyclocross frame? It's like an Mi80!

Sizzle-Chest

Dirt Disciple
I've located what seems to be a LOOK cyclocross frame, very similar to the Mi80, but I cannot find a single reference to one anywhere and I'm hoping someone might have some info. Has anyone here ever seen one of these?

Attachments

• LOOK.jpg
    LOOK.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,778
Another shot. Sorry for lack of pictures, I do not have frame in hand yet.

Attachments

• LOOK 2.jpg
    LOOK 2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,773
I picked up the frame today, I'll post up what I know for anyone else who might find one some day!

LOOK cyclocross frame, not sure the model because the original decals are missing but it's very similar to the Mi60/Mi80/Mi90 so I'm guessing it's early 90's. This one measures 56cm top tube center to center and seat tube measures 52cm center to center.

It's made with precisely mitered, internally brazed triple butted tubing, however there are no indications that the fork is made with Ritchey tubing like their mtb frames.

It also has short, horizontal dropouts with adjustment screws instead of the vertical dropouts on the mtb frames and the seat stays are noticeably thinner than the mtb frames.

The bottom bracket is 68mm english threaded and the headset is also standard 1" threading.

The seatpost diameter is 26.2 and it's made for 700c wheels. Geometry wise, it's pretty similar to my modern cross frames with a higher bottom bracket, and medium wheelbase.

Attachments

• IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 1,712
  • IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 1,711
  • IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 1,711
  • IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 1,711
I'd be tipping city bike/hybrid/maybe tourer rather than cyclocross with 52x56 frame geometry and fender braze ons.

shogun":3823g22d said:
I'd be tipping city bike/hybrid/maybe tourer rather than cyclocross with 52x56 frame geometry and fender braze ons.

I respectfully disagree. First, I do not think LOOK produced a hybrid or touring bike. But that aside, the geometry points squarely to cyclocross. The longer top tube gives it a more aggressive not upright riding position. The chainstays are too short and the bottom bracket too high for a touring or hybrid. In fact they're the same as my modern cx race frames and the same as the 2001 LOOK cyclocross frame found in the catalogue on this site.

looks like those peugeots with the "internal fillets" looks clean but somehow disconcerting not to see the material.

shogun":b1y9gryc said:

Tend to agree. Plus the double bottle cage mounts indicates it is not a cyclocross race bike.

Re:

Bottle and fender mounts don't make it a hybrid or touring bike, it's all about geometry. Every cross bike I've owned has had bottle mounts and most have fender eyelets. In fact, my nicest cross frame was previously owned by a pro racer and has bottle mounts, didn't stop him from winning on it. Further, I don't think a race oriented company like LOOK built any hybrid bikes but believe whatever you want I guess.

If it was a cyclocross bike from the era this looks to be from I highly doubt it would be far away from pretty standard 'square' sizing. If anything you'd expect a relatively short top tube, not a longer one. But 52x56 is pretty close to what you'd expect a city bike/hybrid of the era to be, e.g. ~20" seat tube 22" TT, and the short headtube sure makes it look like a flat bar frame to me.

The top tube cable routing also looks uncomfortable to say the least for a bike supposedly meant to be shouldered.

Re:

Both vintage and modern cross frames are commonly built with longer top tubes.

The top tube cable routes on the right side, not over or under so no problems there.

I just measured the head and seat angles, and they're 73.5/74. Pretty aggressive for a hybrid.

But, if you have actual information about a LOOK hybrid/city bike or any proof that one even exists I would be glad to hear it!

Back