Rescued from the skip

Bikes`n`guns

Retro Newbie
Hello blokes, and Blokettes

Firstly a quick intro. Me, Mark,
Been cycling forever since my Sun Squadra 5 speed, jeez I loved that bike, been trying to find one for years ! ,ahh,, anyhoo

After a wee trip to the skips the other day, I spotted an old roadie, waiting to be got rid of in the bike section, after a quick chat, and movement of security cameras, it was in the back of my pick up, and brought home.

What I have found is, a , approx. 1961, Dawes Red Feather,
It`s lovely, complete with a few mods.
It has a nice, Wrights saddle, and Plescher rack, and due to this, the GB Courour 66 caliper was removed from the back, and a wienmann fitted.
Already bought a new 66 on evilbay today, for a tenner !! all is good

It has 5 speed Gran Sport, GB arret levers, GB stem and a maes embossed set of bars, which are rather beautiful.
Williams chainset and cranks, although the chainring is unmarked, so I dunno `bout that one. Bluemells guards, and unknown pedals
Maillard hubs, Atom chainring (methinks) and it`s all in very very good condition.

Apart form one slight hiccup. Once home, I discovered slight bends in the top and down tubes, Looks like a front shunt, but maybe not, the kink goes in instead of out.

I hummed and hawed about buying a frame for a build, but I think I will let Clarkston in Glesga have a wee look, and see if a repair is in order,

If so, then a full on repainted polished restoration is in order.

Cannae wait to get started.

Oh, and Hiya ! :D

IMG_2048_zps3f9a3014.jpg

IMG_2049_zps2760ad2f.jpg

IMG_2053_zps197ebef6.jpg

IMG_2057_zpsb6f7093a.jpg

IMG_2056_zpsc3c53059.jpg

Re:

Lovely! The lack of clearance between the mud guard and the down tube, plus the odd fork rake, confirms some kind of shunt... Is the head tube okay? Still deserves a loving restoration.

Yeh I reckon a shunt, but the head tube appears fine.
It will go on the jig in Glasgow, to be pulled straight. If all else fails, the a new top and down tube will be required, But I reckon it will be worth it.

Not sure, but I think these were decent steel. Not sure what, but not yer average gas pipe.

I just love the look of it.
I had been looking for a frame to take a full ultegra 9 speed build, maybe an old Italian or somit, but I think this will keep my interest for a while.

I`m actually itching to get the rear mech off and on the table.

Back