MY COLLECTION OF OLD BIKES (more bikes now added)

stringfellow1946

Senior Retro Guru
This is part of my collection of road bikes that I have uploaded to the web. More will be added daily (about another 4 to go). Sometime I will get around to putting a word document with each bike describing the components & any history attached to that particular bike. I have tried to show as much detail of the frame & components as I can & just hope I’ve not gone too over the top with all the photos?
These are NOT exact team replicas or meant to be! As some parts are difficult to get hold of (Rims & Bars in particular) & neither are they made up of NOS components, but parts that have for the most part been used or (I’ve had laying around from my days as a Mechanic & bike shop owner) as I do like my bikes to look like the real deal! NOT some mint unused showroom display item.
I have tried to be period correct, but in some cases I’ve used components that I personally like & I think fits well with that particular bike. I hope some of you might find these of interest.
Chris
You can view the bikes on this link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5freuwvdwrhsjg/zVFVPxHbhn

Re: MY COLLECTION OF OLD BIKES

In my next life I want to be you! That's a gorgeous collection!

Interesting to see this shifter arrangement... that connection type is exactly the same as what's on my Ian May (which has later C-Record shifters)... hadn't seen it anywhere else until now...

8.jpg

Blimey :)

Love the Molteni Merckx with the Portacatena set up...........now that's my era :D

Shaun

PS behind me in the office there is a CarHall TT frame with that arrangement for the Aero Shimano AX downshifters.

How to lose a few hours of your life ogling those bikes - not a bad thing by any means. Epic collection.

The man has taste, thats for sure!! Thanks for posting, the groupsets are well chosen in all cases, I just love the vibrant colours on these old bikes.

Regards,

Pat

To try & answer everyone thats posted in one go.
Thank you all for your very kind comments. I have only collected the bike that are of particular interest to me. It started out with trying to get hold of all the early makes of Round Tubed carbon frames as most of these fell apart (the bonding process was not up to the standard it is these days). I personally don't like the modern day carbon frames as they are all the same (jelly moulds) for want of a better expression & like the modern Racing Jerseys BORING BLACK. (I thought cycling was about being seen!!!) So WTF decided Black jerseys was a good idea? some brain dead who drives a car & sits in an office on a computer all day long???
I then decided to start on Steel & Alloy frames that were of particular historic interest but mainly of interest to me.
I then realised it was also very important to try & preserve some of the older lower spec group sets as well, because every man & his dog uses Dura-Ace, C-Record & Nouvo/Super Record. Hence the use of CDA & Chorus & Ultegra TRI colour STI 8 speed & Ultegra Tri Colour7 speed down tube shifters & the god awful Triangular toe clip pedals. As well as the Shimano 1055 gold coloured groupset. (I'm still trying to get hold of a decent set of pedals for that groupset ).
I have also got a complete collection of the early Look Clip-less pedals from the first double sided one, up until about the 1990 models as I could see these all disappearing fast. I will get around to photographing these some time in the future & putting them on line as well.

But enough of me boring you all senseless. Please just enjoy the bikes & the wonderful colours as "cloonaghpat" has already mentioned.
Chris

Back