First Road Bike - Identification Help Appreciated

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I bought this off the late (great) Steve Worland just before he sadly passed away.

He didnt know what it was other than he thought it was Italian and handbuilt. Bottom bracket has 650 C stamped, nothing else I can see on it. Here's what the great man himself had to say

I wish I knew what it was. I know it's a good quality frame and it's in decent condition. But I don't like the paint job... typical late 70s/early 80s wishy washy green with a slight snakeskin effect. The chrome is still good though.

I believe the BB is Italian threaded. I still have the Duraace BB and crankset that came with it, plus Duraace rear gear and brakeset.... all in remarkably good condition.

Rear dropouts are 126mm. Seat post is 27.2.

I attach a few rubbish pictures. I am building it with Dura Ace 7400-2 and 105 front mech and wheels. All ready to go once the bar tape arrives (finding a decent match for the green was surprisingly hard). This is my first road bike but I thought I would go for something decent, seeing as its still half the price of a run of the mill modern.

Tesag so Steve told me, were painters and not builders of bikes. So think the decals are a red herring.

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.

Re:

Nice looking ride - I can't help you with any information though! I've just bought my first road bike ... Totally different experience to the mtb, quite odd jumping between the two.
Oh... And I really like that Tesag logo made into a bike.

Re:

yeah takes some getting used to. its a nice springy ride though. full shakedown needed!

Re:

Looks great, and from the photo's the bar tape looks fine.

Glad to hear the spd's didn't catch you out. :mrgreen:

Re:

Thanks chap.

I am not the greatest mechanically but those thomson posts are a bugger to get right I find. Or at least a faff for want of a better expression.

Re:

Tesag is one of the big bike shop in Switzerland in the "Canton de Vaud" North of Lausanne

This canton is more french speaking ( about 2/3) hence the tag with "Cycles"

Could be italian but could also be local ???

Re:

Thanks for tge furtger information and comments which are appreciated.

I see it has french bb number so must be French.

Havent weighed it but it but its very light. Lovely ting to tubes once flicked. Lightest bike ive ever owned!

Thanks to foz for supplying a great set of wheels.

Back