Holdsworth Mistral build

anidel

Retro Guru
Hi everyone,

I am waiting for my Holdsworth Mistral to come back from re-paint from Mario Vaz.
In the meanwhile I am thinking on how to build it without spending much at all.

I already got some components, but wondering if there's something missing or not compatible.

The mistral, before re-paint, looked like this:

13736541974_067024119b_c_d.jpg

It seems to mount 700c wheels just fine (no need for long reach brakes).

From my first 'review', I see issues, then, in:

a) setpost pin (missing)
b) downtube shifters (the Venom has bosses, the Holdsworth doesn't)
c) brakes, the Venom has racing (very short reach) brakes
d) wheels, need to check spacing

Anything else I am missing?

So far I have sourced:

• Frame and forks: Holdsworth Mistral flamboyant wine red - cable stops and bb guides braze-on
    Seat post: Kalloy
    Saddle: San Marco Ergo White
    Handlebar stem: GB with Red painted GB logo engraving - 70mm
    Handlebars: GB - drop down ==> UPDATE: GB won't fit, using unknown steel handlebars
    Brake lever: Shimano 105 aero - white hoods
    Rear Caliper brake: Shimano Golden Arrow (nutted 57mm max reach)
    Front Caliper brake: Shimano Golden Arrow (nutted)
    Downtube shifters: Shimano Golden Arrow (clamp-on)
    Crankset: Shimano Golden Arrow
    Front derailleur: Shimano Golden Arrow
    Rear derailleur: Shimano Golden Arrow
    Headset: Shimano Golden Arrow
    BB: Shimano UN55 Square Taper Bottom Bracket - 68 x 115mm - English Thread
    Wheelset: I've got Rigida wheels on Helico-Matic hubs that fit, but might have found a Shimano Golden Arrow wheelset!
    Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Plus - 700cx35
    Pedals: Shimano SPD ==> UPDATE: sourced Lyotard 460D alloy pedals with Christophe toe-straps
    Chain: ????????? - open to suggestions
    Seat binder bold: Campagnolo
    Dropout adjusters: Unknown brand
    Brake housing: Maybe Campagnolo C Record brake cables [white]
    Brake cables: ?????????

And it looks like this for now (I know I've inverted the drivetrain, was just for a quick snap):

14079480202_78fa29e29a_z_d.jpg

Thanks!

Re:

depends if you want to put the correct period parts on,which if your putting the parts of your venom there wrong,the holdsworth would have centre pull brakes, etc

Thanks, but no I can't afford time on a full period correct components. May be with time.

I know that the parts of the Venom as not period correct, I am more about knowing which part would not fit.
Brakes for example probably won't as there's too much clearance and the Venom ones are very short.

Re:

yes you will need some centre pull brakes,front and rear cable guides,hope fully the rest should be ok,plus some band on shifters

Re:

i dont think the shimano 600 series have a deep enough drop,the bike will have been built for 27 in wheels so they are a little bit bigger than 700c,so you will need a deep drop break,so weinamann or shimano tourney centre pulls.

Yeah, you're right. I could use a drop bolt, but they're expensive and it won't look good at all.
Shame, as I found a cheap Arabesque which I like.
Either I put 27" wheels on it or change brakes :(

Or got for a Mafac brakeset

After a bit of research, I think I won't got for the Mafac. Albeit they look lovely and work great, the cable that connects the two arms is very hard to find. So if it breaks, you're out.

Prefer a side pull one or a centre pull which is more modern.
Also a centre pull one would need cable hangers and not all of the, on eBay, seem to have it.

From the picture above I don't think I need long reach brakes, it seems medium reach ones should be fine.
The guy who sold me the frame put on Vainquer 610 and said were fine on it.

These have a reach range of 49-61 mm or 60-65mm according to others.

Now, the Arabesque I found seem to have a 49 stamped on it. Issue is: did Shimano stamp the shorter or the longer reach ?
My guess is that they marked the long one (the shorter reach Arabesque are 39-49mm and from the picture the seller sent me they look like being the shorter reach).

So only overlap is 49mm and I don't think that's the case for this frame. :(

Mmm actually a guy on eBay is selling a set of Shimano 600 brakes which he states are long reach and says : 49-59mm

Damn, why is so hard to get this information.

PS: this is the picture of the groupset (crankset is AX):

82569d1396652173-dsc09080.jpg

UPDATE: mystery solved. The long-reach one have "57" stamped on it. Other have "Max 49" (shorter reach). I think it depends on the year, but it seems to be always the Max value.
So the one this guy's selling are the short reach.
Damn.

Worth taking the whole set (it's £100 delivered) and look for long reach brakes only?

The frame is ready to pick up!!!!
Will try to go pick it up today, but it'll be quite complicated...can't wait!!

In the meanwhile I've been studying what to put on it.
I am undecided between putting the gear shifters on the downtube or bar ends. I have got the downtube cable stop clamp just in case, but I am undecided.

I also dunno what group to put on. The Arabesque looks nice, but a bit pricey.
I might go for the Exage 500EX which is just mostly a 105 (more or less :)) but can be found for a cheap price and it quite durable if good care is taken. Won't look probably as good though as it only seem to come in darkish grey (rear mech).

also not sure about the crankset, the group parts I've found so far don't have it. Would love a Stronglight, but, again, undecided on the number of teeth, suggestions?

Back