My 80's Raleigh Pursuit Build

chris_hd

Dirt Disciple
In it's current state.. covered in mud, oil and rust! Looked a lot better in the ad photos.. that's what I get for buying sight unseen I guess... :facepalm:

Can't believe the kid had been riding it up until two weeks ago as the brakes were loose and you could see the tube through the tyres.. At least the majority of moving parts are all salvageable.

The idea is to transform it into a single speed commuter bike on a shoestring budget. Not bothered about period correct parts, so long as it's functional. I was hoping to get the bike for £50, but settled at £75..

Today I've stripped the bike down to the frame and made a short shopping list of parts and tools. Here's a few more pics of what I've got to work with..

Wasn't a big fan of these to begin with, but they're growing on me..

What was supposed to be suede.. definitely seen better days. Taken the material off and thinking I might either re-cover or replace...

MrW":1a1qp0vd said:
Nice

Some interesting upgrades to the front and rear mech's...

What would have been the stock components? Just in case I ever decide to restore back to original spec..

Re:

Interesting...

However, yours is definitely a UK model, probably with a UK frame number (on the back of the seat tube)

Raleigh America bikes were made in the US, so I think it's coincidence that yours has similar front and rear mechs

Progress report time. So far the bikes been stripped down, I've taken care of the rust on the headset parts, re-greased and assembled back together with the now clean bars and forks..

As for all the shiny bits to come off the bike, this is what this evening looked like...

The brakes have come up a treat.

Shame about the end bolt, but I can live with it.. added some new pads, will keep the other's as back-up as they're the original Raleigh branded ones.

Before and after:

Quick tip for anyone interested in removing rust from the shiny parts, I found that aluminium foil (kitchen tin foil) with a bit of water or WD40 works pretty well, see for yourself with the break spring.. the one below used to look the same.

Made a start on the wheel rims and put some fresh tyres on for a test ride in the next few days. Need to get a cheapish saddle, any recommendations? Preferably black or brown. Apart from that, I've decided to leave the cranks and freewheel alone for the time being and make do with the gearing that's there for single speed riding, until I get the proper freewheel removal tool and new single speed cranks. Some saving up to do.. :)

Until next time..

chris_hd":iq6k241b said:
Quick tip for anyone interested in removing rust from the shiny parts, I found that aluminium foil (kitchen tin foil) with a bit of water or WD40 works pretty well, see for yourself with the break spring.. the one below used to look the same.

Coke and tin foil is also another tried and tested method ;)

Re:

Bit more rust removal and polishing tonight. Brakes and seat post are finished, next up are the levers...

Some pics of the progress..

Before:

After:

Picked up a brown version of the Charge saddle I have on my hardtail mtb. Very comfortable for a budget saddle..

Was also recommended one of these, which would have been cool: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-italia-tu ... 80-saddle/ But can't stretch to it at the moment. Maybe I'll get it once my mtb saddle gives out.

That's all for now folks. :)

Latest posts

Back