Battaglin Giro, found in a skip

trail_head

Retro Guru
I've been looking for a retro road bike for a while now.
I had 3 wants; It must be red, it must be Italian, it must have a name most people will mispronounce.
Last week my mate gave me this Battaglin he found in the garbage.
Fits me, looks great and rides well. I'm very happy with it!
It's got:
Columbus Tubes
Mavic SSC derailleurs
Modolo Speedy brakes, La Vie Claire Team version
Cinelli stem and bars
Selle Italia Super Turbo seat
Mavic Open Pro's, to replace the cracked tubulars it had
Everything else is Campi Victory groupo

Re:

IN THE GARBAGE! :shock:

That's not a euphemism for 'I nicked it from a museum' is it?

Well, that is amazing, I'll bet it rides as good as it looks.

Re:

Could you let me know where the garbage goes in your area ? Can't believe your luck ! :shock:
Enjoy riding it ;)

Mike

Re: Re:

NeilM":265r28sf said:
IN THE GARBAGE! :shock:

That's not a euphemism for 'I nicked it from a museum' is it?

Well, that is amazing, I'll bet it rides as good as it looks.

Hahaha! Nope, it really came from the trash :)
It rides amazingly well, the BB is so low it handles like a Ferrari. I've only had it out for a little 30k rip so far but, that will change today. It'll see lots of use as it's my only road bike.

Nob":rzib8ssd said:
The brake calipers are quite rare also........
And expensive, I've been searching for NOS hoods for it...

I'm assuming they were upgraded at some point. I think they were released in '86 or so. Seems unlikely this build is original. I figure it was a full Campi build from new and then the Mavic derailleurs and Moldolo brakes were added later. I'd love to figure out what year this is, the serial # is 867. Battaglin was started in '82 but, I have no idea of age beyond that. I may try to contact Battaglin. The only thing I know for sure is that I love this bike!

Staggering!! Can I ask how much work you had to do to get it into that lovely condition? The whole thing looks like it has been treasured, a remarkable skip find!!

Really nice bike and some lovely components.

FINNEY1973":1azdzk30 said:
Staggering!! Can I ask how much work you had to do to get it into that lovely condition? The whole thing looks like it has been treasured, a remarkable skip find!!

Really nice bike and some lovely components.

I've done nothing but change the pedals and upgrade the bar clamp bolt to Ti. My friend who found it and fixed it up did all the real work. He swapped the tubular rims(cracked) to Mavic Open Pro's, replaced all 72 spokes in the process, replaced the tires, did a lot of cleaning and polishing. He was actually planning to ride the bike until I came along and pointed out that it fit me way better (He's 6'3"ish). I did help with rebuilding the wheels.

I'm planning to just ride it this summer and contemplate what to do with it over the winter. Likely new cables, hoods, bar tape, decals and paint touch ups.

I wish I had mates who'd clean my bikes for me!!

In fairness it doesn't need a huge amount of work to get it in A1 condition.

Lovely bike indeed. Only thing I would put to you is to level the handlebars off.

Latest posts

Back