RALEIGH QUADRA 531C - EVILBAY PURCHASE

Bananasplit

Devout Dirtbag
Hi good morning all, bought this from a nice chap off ebay, the bike's stickered up as a Raleigh Quadra but doesn't seem to have any stamp or date marks on the bottom bracket shell. Could this be a series 1?
Any help would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• quadra1.jpg
    quadra1.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 1,360
  • quadra2.jpg
    quadra2.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 1,360
  • quadra3.jpg
    quadra3.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 1,359
  • quadra4.jpg
    quadra4.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,359
  • quadra5.jpg
    quadra5.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 1,359
  • quadra6.jpg
    quadra6.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 1,360
Very unusual for it not to be underneath the BB

Could it be covered by the cable guide? Just rechecked your photo's and I see it has cable guides above the BB...

Alternatively, check the seat tube, it 'may' be on there...

Edit: curious that it has chromed forks, and also isn't the usual White/Red/Yellow/Blue colour way

I'm thinking this is an early frame that has been repainted, especially given the location of the cable guides on the BB, and the rear stay cable guide for the mech.

And a Raleigh Heron decal on the steerer tube, definitely been resprayed....

Re:

Unfortunatly i have to agree, she needs some love, i think thats why i bought it, it'll never be concourse but it'll save me from the 3 hours of soaps my wife watch's on an evening. My first thoughts were that it wasn't original paint as ive never seen that colour combination, and the cable routing does deem it could be an earlier year frame. It looks to have suntour components fitted and simplex gear levers, but it all needs cleaning and polishing. I do require a new used set of wheels if any body has any kicking about? around the £50 area.

I'm pretty sure that's not a Quadra (series 1 and definitely not a series 2)...the gear cable above the BB shell, the paint job is wrong as are the decals. A repainted something else I would say.

Martin

Re:

Just a few pics from saturdays efforts, all stripped apart from the stem which is seized.

Attachments

• BOTTOM BRACKET.jpg
    BOTTOM BRACKET.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 1,250
  • BOTTOM BRACKET2.jpg
    BOTTOM BRACKET2.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 1,250
  • BOTTOM BRACKET3.jpg
    BOTTOM BRACKET3.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,249
  • BOTTOM BRACKET4.jpg
    BOTTOM BRACKET4.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,249
  • FRONTD.jpg
    FRONTD.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 1,249
  • FRAME1.jpg
    FRAME1.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 1,249
  • FRONTD2.jpg
    FRONTD2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,249
Doesn't look like my series 1 quadra. The seatstays on the lightweights are pantographed with Raleigh, the brake cable routing is wrong as it should run under one side of the tube not on top, the quadra being a trainer also has eyelets on the dropouts for mudguards and the gear cables should run under the bb on a plastic guide.
Personally I don't think its a Raleigh, but it could be something reasonable.

Carl

Re:

Thanks for looking Carl, the frame is all stripped and ready for t-cutting, i will remove the badges and decals with the hair dryer before though. I will build it up without any markings or headbadge for the time being, a bit of a ratbike so to speak. Once the Team TI Rep is finshed i'll get this mystry frame shot blast and painted a pearl white, it may reveal some serial numbers underneath. I'am guessing that it was a Raleigh or maybe a Carlton originally, i have a 531 and a 531c frame as well as this and this one seems so much lighter, i need some kitchen scales lol.
More pictures to follow on monday.

Re:

just started to polish the crankset up, looks like the pedals are well and truly stuck in the arms, but they'll come out eventually. Any body know more about the brand of the pedals, i think they are SR Super Customs?

Attachments

• crank1.jpg
    crank1.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,137
  • crank2.jpg
    crank2.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 1,137

Latest posts

Back