Peugeot 653 with C Record 8 speed

tarloone

Retro Guru
Since its been almost two weeks since we've seen a 653 Athena, I though I'd share my latest creation :D

I used to have a C Record equipped 653 Peugeot in the blue,white,red fade way back in 1991 and despite building a lovely Vitus 992 and recently owning a nice Bianchi SLX frameset, when the chance came about to get hold of a 653, I didn't think twice in making it mine, especially as it was in my fave Z colours!

It was originally an original Athena equipped model albeit with Shimano RSX wheels that was immediately stripped to just a frame,BB, headset and seatpost before being rebuilt with 8 speed C Record, the rear dropouts swallowed up the 130 old rear cassette hub easily. The wheels were built onto some pretty mint Omega profile rims and shod with some lucky find Michelin Hi Lite's

I've not taken it it out in anger yet, though some initial spins up the road reveal a springy and lively ride that I look forward to adding many miles to this summer, including my annual 200km ride in August.

I may perform some amends after the initial bedding in period and those will include replacing the bar tape (this stuff has been re-used twice now!) and replacing the brake levers with my other white hooded set...I'll also add some better pics once the sun reappears :!:

Attachments

• r4.JPG
    r4.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,854
  • r5.JPG
    r5.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 1,852
  • r6.JPG
    r6.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,854
  • r2.JPG
    r2.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 1,855
  • r3.JPG
    r3.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 1,857
  • r1.JPG
    r1.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 1,857
  • r7.JPG
    r7.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 1,854
Re:

Very very nice :) great built, what's it like to ride?.
I have the same frame/colour scheme but mine is built from Reynolds 753. Mine has just gone in for a re-paint as the original paint isn't in great condition like yours.

being Athena you have a nice option to put on the Campag Athena silver polished 11 speed gruppo if you wished...

:evil:
Frame now written off due to man size pot hole interface whilst traversing home off road intoxicated on Sat night (long story for another time!)....just found a crack on T.T and bulged D.T...though all parts/wheels intact.

Gutted beyond belief as this was my dream colour and size....sniff

:facepalm:

Latest posts

Back