Dave Lloyd Concept 90? (Frame ID)

Mac_Mwnci

Old School Hero

Recently bought this on eBay hoping it was a Dave Lloyd Concept 90. Would really appreciate if anyone on the forum could help confirm this for me. Certainly looks like a Concept 90 but from my 'online research' some of that frame's features are different. It's missing the following...

No braze on for front mech (or downtube shifter mounts)

No access for internal cabling

Now according to what I've read the bottom bracket shell should be a Cinelli. Mine matches this one found online from a Dave Lloyd in 653 but minus the cable guides

Now the obvious answer is that these have all been removed - dremelled off but then why leave on the rear mech hanger as well as the cable guide next to it?

(Clearly stamped - 'Dave Lloyd') and the bottom bracket shell features two serial numbers : 0590194 (May, 1990, frame number 194 perhaps?) and a fainter Y016 5PR, I think. I'll email Mr Lloyd about these, as if it's genuine he might be able to tell me whether the frame was built from 653, 753 or a combination of both.

So, any views on any of the above anyone? Oh, and I'm looking for a set of forks,(should the frame be confirmed as a Concept 90) which I optimistically posted here prior to purchase http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=291765 :)

Cheers All!

Re:

I know a little about Dave Lloyd mountain bikes and have been watching (not very well it would seem) for a Concept 90 to go with my Cats Wiskas.

All the mtb frame numbers start with two letters, typically LL. So an LL90 frame number signifies a 1990 frame. Your frame number does look like a month and year combination, so maybe the road frames were numbered differently. The other numbers are a post code, which I have seen before on a DL mtb frame.

I am not sure what response you will get from Dave Lloyd, I have been told by a couple of people that he does not like to discuss the frame building business. However, if you do a search for Dave Lloyd in the mtb section, you will come across his paint sprayer from that time, who is now in Canada. He may be able to shed some light.

Good luck with your research and also your build.

Dave's OK but he is very busy with his coaching business but as a pro he will listen or he will direct you to someone who may have more detailed info.

Re:

Many thanks for the replies so far. I'll drop both Dave and Ritchie a line, hopefully they'll be able to answer some of my questions. As for the build I'm a bit caught between two minds as on how to proceed. I can't help feeling that as most of the braze-ons have (probably) been removed the frame would lose most of it's elegance if I resorted to bolting the cable stops, bottle cage etc on. Long term they could be (re)added by, say Argos. The frame could do with a respray (though the chrome rear stays are surprisingly good) but I'm not sure if the costs involved would be worth it, for example recreating the routing on the top tube for the rear brake cable. It's unlikely it would ever resemble the frame as originally designed by Dave (and what a design - that wishbone!)

Any views on my question regarding the missing braze-ons? Is it really possible to remove these and for example fill in the internal cable access in the top tube without leaving a trace?! Or maybe Dave or Ritchie will recall a bizarre order for a Concept 90 minus the said specs - We'll see: Watch this space :LOL:

Re: Re:

fatfixie":2ynaipis said:
Looks like my Concept 90. From memory mine has a plastic under cable guide....

Andy

Thanks Andy. But it would have a tapped hole for the plastic cable guide though right?

Re: Re:

Mac_Mwnci":323e2sha said:
fatfixie":323e2sha said:
Looks like my Concept 90. From memory mine has a plastic under cable guide....

Andy

Thanks Andy. But it would have a tapped hole for the plastic cable guide though right?

I have seen people just glue em on to save drilling a hole in the past.

Re:

Yeah, been reading up about it and the cable tension will also help keep it in place as well. Just think it's unusual for it not to have a drilled hole for one. Does yours have the same features as the ones I've mentioned? Have a look here...

Re:

lloyd1.jpg

Back