1954 RO Harrison Omnium

Martin Rattler

Retro Guru

ROH Bench by JuanM58, on Flickr

ROH Tube by JuanM58, on Flickr

ROH Badge by JuanM58, on Flickr

I have been collecting parts for this over the winter and building it up while I should have been getting on with other projects. I bought the frame in refinished condition from a V-CC member who I had initially contacted regarding my Youngs project; it came with the headset and a bags of assorted bits and pices including a TDC bottom bracket. I fitted a re-chromed Williams chainset form Ebay, changing the chainwheel for a 3/32" 50T; Sturmey Archer pedals and clips. The hubs are Normandy 32/40 the rear being fixed/free and were provided by jm from this forum. I built them up with NOS 27" Alesa alloy rims with Sapim Race butted spokes and fitted a Regina 14-22 5-speed freewheel; tyres are random 27 x 1 1/4" from stock (these seem a little too wide if anything and I will probably want to change these in the long term). 1950s Campag GS deraileur and a single lever take care of the gears. Brakes are ALP Competition from the same source as the frame. Tatty twin bolt seatpost (probably '80s although it is so weathered it could easily be older, Sumerian perhaps) with high Campag content cheap from EBay, oldish but practically unused Brooks pro from CTC forum. Milremo stem and Il Primo Giro di Sicilia bars previously featured on Youngs project.

Today was the first extended shake down ride of 15km or so and it all feels very promising although some tweaking and fettling will be needed. I have some red cloth bar tape to fit and a pair of red toe straps are on order from Taiwan; I am looking forward to putting in a few miles on the ROH over the summer.

Very nice! A lad in school had an ROH track bike which I coveted! I've always wondered what happened to it.

Bars by JuanM58, on Flickr

Gripfast by JuanM58, on Flickr

ROH Omnium by JuanM58, on Flickr

RBotM entry, you are too kind; I am not worthy etc. Anyway, as a bit of an update…out for a longer run at the weekend, around 35km. A couple of things of note; firstly a violent blowout on the front. I heard two or three ticks and then a loud bang like a shotgun going off. The tyre went flat immediately but luckily I kept the bike upright as is slewed across the road which was fortunately clear. I found a large cut in the tube which I replaced. I suspect that this may have been my own fault; the Alesa rims (NOS) are not hooked and I think I may have overinflated the tyre causing the tube to squeeze out. It’s a bit of a weird one but I found a smear of black rubber on the inside of the nearside fork blade. Anyway, with no smears on the saddle and no harm done other than to my nerves, I later inflated the tyre to 70psi from the original 90. Secondly the head set. Under reasonably heavy braking I noticed that the forks were vibrating violently…so I stopped doing that. When I got home I stripped down the headset and found that the crown race was loose but some insulating tape had been wrapped round the top of the fork crown to give the race a (temporary) press fit. Hmm…to be fair the vendor did mention that he thought the headset was suspect so I should have checked it out I suppose. I managed to tighten the fit on the race and rebuilt the bearing but I may need a different headset (you wanna nice Tange you do) or crown race. So a bit more tweaking to do but the ROH is a nice comfortable and sprightly ride, handles well, agile and stable in cornering and all the rest – it has the makings of a very nice bike.

I have added a few finishing touches, mainly red. Some red leather toestraps, a red Bluemells lightweight pump from EBay (I needed that on Saturday!) the pumps clips are a bit Mk1 so I have some nicer ones on the way. The green and red livery looks quite festive I think. I moved the brake levers back a little; the new position is possibly a little less ‘sporty’ but it’s more comfortable for me (nowadays) and I wrapped the bars with red cloth tape and sealed it with a few coats of button polish. I don’t know how successful this will be but I wanted to try to prevent the tape fraying. I finished off the bar tape with some whipping twine. I had suspected that this might make it look a bit ‘tiddly’ like a yacht but I resisted the temptation to make these into Turks’ Heads – perhaps for the next project. New track nuts fitted to the rear axle and sexier Gripfast CP wingnuts on the front; I am awaiting a bronze pair from EBay that might look sexier still and I’ll be able to polish them. QR hubs are all very nice but ooohhh I do like a nice wingnut!

tumblr_m5i82qs3yg1rr7wnno1_400_zpsb6d9bf92.jpg

Re:

A couple of tweaks. After another puncture on last Sunday's outing I fitted a flint catcher to the rear which may do no harm, and it's a period accessory I guess. And a pair of rather nicer pump clips.

Seat tube by JuanM58, on Flickr

Back