And now for something completely different. Moulton Done!

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
It started off at the side of the road for the scrap metal men to collect. I only wanted it for the small wheels so I can try to weld a trailer together. However, I recognised the Moulton name and really liked the funky 70s orange paint. The trouble was a lot of the bike was very rusty with the chain and back part of the bike particularly bad.

Here's a picture as found:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 458
Re:

I decided to keep as many of the parts as possible. The rear triangle was removed from the bike to be treated to some new paint. I really hate Hammerite so was interested to read about a product called Rustoleum somewhere on this forum. I bought a tin of black spray and was really impressed.
I was lucky with the bottom bracket. If it was FUBAR, the old Raleigh threads would have been awkward to say the least. It just had some new grease and new bearings.
The rear rim was toast, rusted beyond saving. I totally dismantled the Sturmey rear hub and even replaced a pawl spring! I bought a new rim and some spokes and managed to build and true a new wheel. This was a first for me and apart from messing up the size of spoke gap the valve sticks up through, I am really pleased.
Other than that it was a case of de rusting a lot of 70s chrome and getting the gears and brakes working.
My mum was thrilled with her new bike and it will be getting a lot of use on the Totnes cycle path!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 452
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 452
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 452
Re: And now for something completely different. Moulton Don

and!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do i like it although it's screaming sister's Raleigh Twenty?

A lovely job.

Re:

wicked,good that the rubber buffer and above the fork rubber cover were in good nick i guess they
would be hard to find.
your wheel rim replacement has given me inspiration to build some wheels for my forthcoming
raleigh chopper . Were the rims hard to find ?
good job well done .

nice job & now you can sort out your hedge & brush........

Re:

That looks absolutely fantastic.

My first, and only new bike as a kid was a Moulton mini; very much in the style of your bike, but smaller and without the Sturmey Archer gears, but with rubber bumper suspension front and back.

My parents chose the Moulton as I was nuts into model aeroplanes at the time, and could get my toolbox and a medium sized control line plane on the rack.

I can still remember the clickery click noise the chain made as I bowled along the side of the Southend Rd on my way to meet my mates.

Happy days.

Back