my old 'old' Raleigh

Yardbent

Retro Guru
i don't have a new 'old' bike yet ......chasing down a Peugeot atm --- but to introduce myself, here's me in 1958 on a tank of a Raleigh

notice complete lack of 'flash' gear, colours, helmet, etc. but with the ubiquitous bonk bag
and Lucas all-blinding rear light

ah those were the days..!

Great pic. You are lucky to have the pic. Oddly, the road surface looks better then the ones near me!

Richard

good shot & looks like you are a merchant seaman off to board your ship....

...............70's bonk bags were a lot smaller :D Blumells pump with the coloured plastic stripes were the same though LOL

Shaun

PS why a peugeot? as XTC said about making plans for Nigel..............his future is in BRITISH STEEL :)

thanks all

don't have any 'posed' pictures left of the bike itself

but here's me on a Hertfordshire CC ''Novice 25''
actually bought a jersey and non-padded shorts..... :D
i cannot track down the model identity
Dad didn't have much money and I'm wondering if this was a basic bike converted to drops..?

Blacktopdisciple":3w1ia8dv said:
Lovely pictures. I note youre from Strathaven, Im just down the road from you in Glasgow. Was you in a club way back then?

just returning to cycling after 40+years - so struggling a bit with the hills around the river Avon valley...doing about 6-10 miles every other day or so -- so should get better/fitter as summer comes

i defo was in a club in my teens - dead keen with a set of rollers at home - yes, in the late 1950s.! .. Wednesday evening club run around the South Mimms area - have tried GoogleEarth but no memories - but the Barnet CC rings a bell. Then a '25' every Sunday morning - we carried our race wheels/tubs on brackets mounted on the front spindle - too flimsy to use for the club run which followed after lunch...GOOD TIMES

john

Midlife":c08ev2ph said:
........ Blumells pump with the coloured plastic stripes were the same though LOL...............Shaun..

damn i just spent ALL day tracking down a 'French tricolour' pump to go with the new Peugeot - and forgot the Bluemels had coloured bands..... :facepalm:

john

Glad to see youve returned to cycling. Keep April the 20th free in your diary, there is a great road race coming to Strathaven. The Drummond Trophy will be doing 8 laps on the Drumclog circuit and passes by Strathaven on each lap. Good for inspiration.

Back