Not a 1990 Bassoon

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Don't you just love predictive text, especially on the bay, where every time I type Basso, it tries to change it to Basoon. :facepalm:

So, this is not a 1990 Basoon Gap, but is a 1990 Basso Gap which the sharp eyed amongst you will recognise.

As I knew he eventually would, my mate THM finally decided that a 56cm frame was insufficient for his needs, and so on acquiring a bike and a frame that were better suited to his stature, I threw away a rash comment about taking on his Basso.... and here it is!

Considering how I would build the bike up, I decided it really could only be built up using Campagnolo running gear, despite my complete ignorance of most of that companies products. Much reading on the net only lifted my veil of ignorance a tiny bit, but after sufficient reading to realise what a complex subject I was into, I chose to go with 10 speeds and to use as many Chorus components as possible. As it turns out the only exception to this were the shifters, which are Centaur, but which blend in perfectly.

I soon realised that all the front mechs I could find were for braze on fixing, so an M Part adaptor was bought and provided it does the job, and I have no reason to suppose it won't, then I will remove the black anodising and give it a quick polish. All the other parts were sourced from the bay, with the 3ttt bars coming all the way from Spain to match the NOS stem.

The shifters were treated to a light lube and a new pair of hoods, the Campag cassette and KMC chain are also new, as are the Rubino Pro tyres, which are installed on Mavic Ksyrium wheels. Saddle is a Flite which I am not sure I will like, but which I'll try. The seatpost is.... erm, a seatpost, which may well be cut down a bit or replaced when I can find something suitable, pedals are Speedplay Zero.

I still have to get a couple of bottle cages and have not yet ridden it, as it started raining just after I took the photos, so with luck I'll give it a shakedown over the weekend, but for now, here are a couple of pix.

DSC_0063_zpsb77c96aa.jpg

DSC_0064_zps6ac6fc41.jpg

DSC_0062_zps049ad32c.jpg

Re:

looks in good order,really good nick!slx i guess ?
i agree with your idea on the seat post i like the campag aero's
i would change the long cage to short .
even something simple such as bottle cages can become a ponder
when considering time scales,got some good cheap elite copies but still not decided.
perhaps some snaps of basso's in racing action would help.

Re: Not a 1990 Basoon

Maybe need to aquire a short cage rear mech as it looks to MTB to me with that set up

Re:

The mech was chosen for a very good reason...... it was the only 10 speed Chorus mech I could find.

As it turns out, it suits the 13-29 cassette and is the model recommended by Campagnolo.

Bottle cages will be Elite, or something similar.

As for the seatpost, a Campag aero in 26.6mm, if I could find one, would probably cost more than my entire stable is worth, but it would look nice.

Tubing I think is SL. I couldn't feel any spirals inside the down tube, so I don't think it's SLX.

Re:

that,s turned out great neil. nicely saved from the history man

whats next neil? or are you waiting until the welsh cycle show?

Re:

Thanks Mat, much appreciated.

Waiting for the Welsh Show. ;)

There are a few oddities with the frame, which may have been from new, or may have been done at the time of the respray. It's all part of the fun of owning old hand made frames I guess.

Back