French rarity Alain Michel Full Chrome Excell "Mexico"Tubing

bduc61

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
First build on this nice frame

from a pretty renowned french framemaker "Alain Michel"
He used to make frames but in very small numbers , mostly for french pros or good amateurs in the vicinity of Paris
His trademark was three circles and on the headpivot tube and an M made with an "arc de triomphe" on his forks

This is a full chrome frame with Excell tubing from the Mexico tubeset (courtesy Norris Lockley)
Fork at 710g and frame about 1700g ( need to undo the bottom bracket and headset cups to confirm)

No shifter possible on downtube - just a cable stop so STI are on
most probably beginning of nineties

Nearly full Dura Ace build as I am more of a shimano man having come from the 90's mtb scene accustomed to superior XTR M900, M950 or XT M737 components !

Deviation are the bottom bracket which is presently a UN70 ! only 103mm Dura Ace 7400 BB in stock at home and its too short :? and the present seatpost which is a campa - the crime :LOL: - the only aero in stock at home in a 26.6 mm needed diameter
fear I won't be able to find that 26.6 in Dura Ace :roll:
Selcof should be on its way soon - I can't leave such a seatpost on this build :LOL:
Ah yes rings are TA - sorry I'm french :mrgreen:
ITM stem and bar - clearly these stem you can open are very convenient even if slightly less elegant :facepalm:
Nice mint Mavic Reflex Ceramic rims to complement the hubs
Timeless Titanium Flite

who needs paint :mrgreen:

maybe will put a bit of colour with a coloured saddle and matching tyres and bar tape in the future
but I am more of a discreet guy ;)

Re: Alain Michel Full Chrome Excell "Mexico" Tubing

Cor blimey! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Put it in rBOTM for this month. It's a beauty.

bugloss":24gd2ucx said:
Cor blimey! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Put it in rBOTM for this month. It's a beauty.

I can't !
your lovely de Rosa deserves a win ;)

chrome looks nice on a frame

glorfingal":2h4yzalw said:
bloody gorgeous .... that stem is how short !!! :)

its an 80mm
but as the mechanism to open it makes it much more bulky at the end, it looks even shorter :roll:

but my over 50's back likes it :idea:

Re: French rarity Alain Michel Full Chrome Excell "Mexico"Tu

Blimey that's lovely!

the chrome really compliments the patterned lines on the tubing .i vaguely remember seeing those lines some where else i wondered how they were made ?
i have an excell tubed bike and that sure does smooth out the rough roads.

Good morning,

I love the bike - it is something very special. I thought i had been seeing things but you need a 26.6 DA seat post -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-7400- ... 20e1e68854

Saw this yesterday and it took me a while to work out where.

Not cheap but very nice!!!

Richard

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There was a Cinelli TT ( I think) with the same pattern on the tubes posted on here a few months ago.

Back