1994 Litespeed Catalyst

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Fresh in from Spain...! :D

Research then personalisation - anyone hoarding a titanium road stem of around110mm with a lil bit of rise??

Attachments

• Catalyst A.jpg
    Catalyst A.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 2,550
  • Catalyst B.jpg
    Catalyst B.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 2,549
  • Catalyst C.jpg
    Catalyst C.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2,549
Variations by year - I understand that 1994 was the first year. Bemused that mine has a Trek-branded fork...

Attachments

• Litespeed Catalyst 1997.jpg
    Litespeed Catalyst 1997.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,545
  • Litespeed Catalyst 1996.jpg
    Litespeed Catalyst 1996.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,544
  • Litespeed Catalyst 1995.jpg
    Litespeed Catalyst 1995.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 2,543
  • Litespeed Catalyst 1994.jpg
    Litespeed Catalyst 1994.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 2,543
Perfect!! Very very nice bike,.. I'm 1,71 cms,.. be sure than it would be mine if I was taller :)

Thank you, again for all.

Re:

I have a set of those rims and a set of those tyres and 4 busted composite tyre levers, the tyres are back in the boxes waiting to go on evilbay, great looking tyres mind.

Additional information -

Serial 13611

1994 Specification:

3/2.5 tubing
Integrated seatpost binder bolt*
68mm BB, machined from 6-4 solid bar
27.2mm seatpost diameter
1-1/4” clamp-on front derailleur
51cm to 59cm, 2.7 to 3.2 lbs

The Litespeed Catalyst road frame was launch in 1994, positioned below the Classic and Ultimate models. The Catalyst was only offered for four years (’94-’97). Litespeed’s 1996 catalog highlights the use of butted tubes for the Catalyst’s main triangle, but it is unclear whether only straight-gauge tubes were used in 1994 and 1995. It’s entirely possible, because in 1996 Litespeed launched the straight-gauge Nachez frame at a lower price-point than the Catalyst, so perhaps Litespeed adopted butted tubing for the Catalyst to help differentiate these two models.

Here is a description of the 1996 Catalyst from BikePro.com:

The catalyst has an up-graded tubing set from the Natchez. The tubes have tapered walls and are butted at the ends. The tapering and butting is performed at room temperature which strain hardens the tubing set further making a stiffer, stronger frame. It has machined shifter bosses, brake bridge and built-in seat binder from rod or plate then welded in place, and twin bottle braze-ons…. the Catalyst comes a satin Titanium finish only.

* Early or first production models like mine (some released in July 1993) did not have the integrated seat clamp.

Going to try a recently acquired period carbon fork in comparison to the steel one that came with it. When (or did) carbon as a road fork material really make steel obsolete?

Back