1984 Raleigh Record Sprint

phantom photon

Dirt Disciple
Recently picked up my new summer ride, a completely original 1984 Raleigh Record Sprint. The previous owner bought it new in 1984 and used it once and so it has been lying in their garage for 30 years unused ever since! Completely 100% original right down to the original unworn tyres and rims. My only plans are to strip it right down and rebuild and re-grease all the bearing etc. and also change the tyres and tubes for peace of mind! I know it a fairly low end spec but it will keep me happy while I'm working on my other builds. Also planning on taking it on a few sportives later on in the year :)

Low end spec or not, thats just lovely. Personally Id'd leave the tyres they dont look half bad form the images!

The tyres probably would be fine for a while but given that they have been sitting for 30 odd years the rubber is probably alot less flexible than it used to be. Don't fancy them coming apart on me during a fast downhill decent!

Bikes don't have to be high end or expensive to be beautiful! Great find, I love it to see a bike in this condition!

My nan used to chainsmoke John Player Specials when they were unquestionably the coolest cigarettes in the world. And at the same time, I used to have a toy Corgi JPS Lotus. So I guess I am genetically predisposed to go a bit funny in the presence of the black-and-gold fest that is the RRS. But that is particularly lovely. And just when you think you it is literally at the very cutting edge of cool and can't get any cooler, you spot the little "Aerospace Contour" Space Shuttle decal. Ooo! Sir...

The RRS is an inspirational bike. Everything about it shouts "Greater than the sum of its parts". I don't think I would be able to try a fast descent on it without pushing it to the absolute limit, where other bikes might make me back off and be cautious. Lovely.

Back