c.1968 Carlton Continental (renovation)

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
I have been looking for a British-made Reynolds 531 frame with Nervex lugs on ebay to build into a fixed gear trainer and errands bike for some time, but they always seem to come up at prices I couldn't afford. Last month I noticed this scruffy Carlton up for sale for 45 pound B.I.N (Buy It Now), it was in my size (56cm c-t) so I snapped it up without really truly knowing what model I had bought. I thought it was a decent price for 531 double butted throughout and Nervex in a popular size. The seller said it was possibly a 'Giro D'Italia' or a 'Professional' model, but through a process of elimination and posting on forums, it came back it was actually a '68 model year Continental.

So now begins the process of renovation. The tubes look all good with no defects. Original colour appears to of been light blue with black head tube and seat band contrasts and gold lug lining. The previous owner powedercoated the forks purple but seems to have given up on the frame (!). The wrapover seatstays are gorgeous and something I find quite coquettish. :oops:

Just some 'before' photos:

13196842674_7781a1710b_z.jpg

13196551485_55f8e913af_z.jpg

13196657663_39986b0a0a_z.jpg

13196658863_a2a35b64ea_z.jpg

13196664803_f81e8df534_z.jpg

Then the materials for stripping her original coat; paint stripper, triangular scraper tool 'thingy', wire brush, sandpaper block, wire wool, paint brushes to apply the stripper...

13196853494_a5fe80fcec_z.jpg

After its striped down and clean its off to the powder coaters for one colour all over. I'm still mulling over which colour but I quite fancy a mocha brown. Then I will apply a teal/turquoise colour on the headtube, seat bands and lug lining. I will do this skilled work with Coach paint and sable brush, which I've heard is the best to use when hand painting smaller areas of frames.

Colour scheme:

il_340x270.484545345_cauo.jpg

The match on RAL is 8025 - i will choose this 'if' the powder coaters have it in stock

ral8025.jpg

Complimented w/brown saddle, skinwall tyres and Brooks turquoise leather bar tape.

BI0911KNOW049.jpg

P4112736-thumb-700x525-12249.jpg

Don't get it powder coated! It's too thick and you will loose the nice sharp edges of the nerves lugs.

Out of interest, what is the cost of the powder coating?

C&G finishes in Liverpool would do the whole job for you, in proper enamel inc lug lining, separate colours, decals etc. Also the stripping.

They did my Walvale for about £180

SNight":2shjjynm said:
Don't get it powder coated! It's too thick and you will loose the nice sharp edges of the nerves lugs.

Out of interest, what is the cost of the powder coating?

C&G finishes in Liverpool would do the whole job for you, in proper enamel inc lug lining, separate colours, decals etc. Also the stripping.

They did my Walvale for about £180

PowderCoating is about 30-50 pound.

Do C&G stock these colours?

Back