Alecs small wheeled bikes

alecw35

Dirt Disciple
Thougt I'd start a thread here about some of the small wheeled bikes Ive built. Mostly Raleigh of the Twenty variety.

Heres the Raleigh Stowaway Twenty. On the day I got it from the scrap yard. Was a pile of stuff just come in there, that day. Was trying to dig out a Specialized carbon/alloy hybrid, when I seen the Twenty. So dug it out instead. Hey the Specialized was too big, not so keen on modern bikes. Got the Twenty for £6. Rode it out of the yard.

Before I got the Raliegh Stowaway. I wanted a small wheeled bike that I coukd modify. But wasnt too keen on dealing with the problems that old Ralieghs give, with non standard sizes and threads of parts.
So I went upto the bike shop in town that recycles old bikes. They actually had some Twentys, had some really old u frame european shopper bikes. But at the time I wasnt keen on rusty bikes with 451 wheels. So I got an Apollo Wayfarer bike.

Thats on the day I got it. I hadnt rode a brakeless bike for ages. And had to ride for about 2 miles from the bike shop, to the bus stop, along the bike path beside the dual carraigeway. Was ok. I just steered onto the grass when I felt like I was going too fast.

The bike had a 3 speed hub, 28 spoke to a steel 406 rim. So I got some alloy wheels from the bike shop. Only 28 spoke wheel they had was from a Hood brand of bike, so keeping it all Halfords so far. :p It was a black anodised rim, worn streaky on the sides. I dont like black wheels, so sanded all the black anodising off, and built the rim onto the 3 speed hub. I had got a silver alloy front wheel. I bought a set of bmx brakes from ebay. Got a pair of bar end brake levers. I got some red lazer brake cable outer from ebay. taped the bars with red tape. fitted the 3 speed trigger to the stem. Got a Kellogs bike computer, as its white. There terrible tho. I took a file to the frame, made holes so I could run internal cables. Got some stainless steel fasteners

I had other tyres on it. got 20 x 1.5 tyres, in black. 20 x 1.95 red Kenda tyres too. My thinking that a strange little red and white bike would be highly visible, when I was riding on the bike paths here. No joy there tho. :x

I had a lot of problems with punctures. Seemed like every time I wanted to use it I had to fix a flat. Not easy with full mudguards, mudguard stays onto axle, rear facing drop outs. So used my MTB or roadster more than this. When I got the Stowaway. I left the Apollo sitting, unsure what to do with it. Then stripped it out, junked the frame. Fitted the wheels to the Stowaway.

alecw35":aiuyqb4x said:
Thougt I'd start a thread here about some of the small wheeled bikes Ive built. Mostly Raleigh of the Twenty variety.

Heres the Raleigh Stowaway Twenty. On the day I got it from the scrap yard. Was a pile of stuff just come in there, that day. Was trying to dig out a Specialized carbon/alloy hybrid, when I seen the Twenty. So dug it out instead. Hey the Specialized was too big, not so keen on modern bikes. Got the Twenty for £6. Rode it out of the yard.

I hope that wasn't found inside that yard :shock:

he does say that he paid £6 for it at the end of the first post.....

Nice couple of comments there

Back