Steel is Real!

Retro_AF

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys, noob here, got this free road bike, my grandad had it custom built in about the 60's and raced on it regularly, rides like an absolute dream but as it is custom built it has 'metro' stickers on it which he reckons are from the bike shop where he had it built, these are a bit tatty and faded and i would love to be able to stick some new ones on, i'm also gonna get some new bar tape and try to get rid of the little bits of surface rust and also touch up the paint a little.
IMG_0403_zpse4b9ab04.jpg

IMG_0417_zpsbc9a481f.jpg

IMG_0405_zpsdd641340.jpg

IMG_0406_zpsf1d01a1f.jpg

IMG_0411_zpsc652d853.jpg

IMG_0409_zps700230c7.jpg

AC170F82-74BF-404B-AF80-B3BFA8E88B15_zpsbgqc5dna.jpg

Re: Hello

☝︎☝︎

Hello and welcome,
That's a great bike you have there. Don't do too much too it as it looks top dollar already.

bugloss":kin79hu0 said:
☝︎☝︎

Hello and welcome,
That's a great bike you have there. Don't do too much too it as it looks top dollar already.
Cheers, i'm not gonna change anything except the bar tape and give it a clean up, i'm even gonna keep the leather straps on the pedals :), what bar tape colour would you recommend and what's the difference with normal cork and synthetic cork? (i'm an MTB'er at heart so forgive me for all these nooby questions)

That's a very nice bike. Don't go overboard on cleaning up the frame too much, it would be a shame to lose the patina on it. That Cinelli stem is lovely, and you don't see too many bikes now with flint catchers!

I would seriously consider something different to cork bar tape - I just don't think that is in keeping with the bike

originalshinkicker":1bd7zyze said:
That's a very nice bike. Don't go overboard on cleaning up the frame too much, it would be a shame to lose the patina on it. That Cinelli stem is lovely, and you don't see too many bikes now with flint catchers!

I would seriously consider something different to cork bar tape - I just don't think that is in keeping with the bike
Haha sure, i dont know much i've just been looking online at whats what, anything you would recommend?
bugloss":1bd7zyze said:
Oh well that's easy. Modern cork and synthetic cork are both equally unsuitable for such a steed as yours.

Please see: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=289463

Hope that helps ;)
Cheers :)

Back