colnago master build

uncle zaskar

Dirt Disciple
Hi there

here's some pics on my latest project. Always wanted a classic colnago so started about 18 months ago looking for frame, found this one on ebay.

believed to be a Master Piu, it's an ex-team bike from Belgium. Originally I was going down the route of having it resprayed in pearl white, but after a while the art-decor scheme grew on me and I decided it would be a great shame to destroy the original finish.

After thinking various ideas over, I decided to go down the route of a predominantly black components to compliment the very bright yellow frame. Also went with modern 10 speed drivetrain so that I could use parts from my spares box and also existing wheels that I had.

managed to source some nice NOS parts to compliment the frame and finally finished the build of on Saturday. First ride out on Sunday was a lovely 50 miler, and I am blown away by how nice she rides.

Hope you like her too...

regards - Uz

Great looking frame and I am glad you decided to keep the original finish.

I like old steel bikes with modern kit but not a fan of mixing old kit and new. Definitely prefer the Cosmics, love the way deep dish carbon wheels look with thin steel tubes.

Anyway sharp bike!

Steven

That is delicious! great build.

Interesting that the geometry has a track look about it - very short wheelbase. Is this because it was an ex-pro bike or is it due to the straight forks? Agree with Steven, looks better with the Cosmics.

Hi Finney

Not sure if it's standard geometry for a Master, maybe one of the resident Colnago experts could give some help on this front, but it's a quick turner that's for sure and feels really planted in the corners.

Although it looks fab on the cosmics they are really the wheels for my summer ride, but could not resist seeing how they looked. Normal wheels will be the Neutron Ultras as in the first pick, and they really suit the bike giving a really comfy ride (nice and light too, which is always a bonus)

Hoping to change the seatpost and brake calipers for something a bit more special in time - having thoughts about a nice set of Campagnolo monoplaner calipers, but stripping them down and having them anodised in Black to suit the rest of the components.

many thanks for the comments

Regards - U.z :D

I'll look out for further comments on the geometry - if this is the standard then I want a Master. Just looks 'nimble'.

Monoplaners are great to look at, not great (IMHO) when in comes to stopping! (could be because I insist on the original blocks and they're not fantastic in comparison to modern blocks). Liking the idea of black anodising though, that would look mighty fine.

I agree there's an issue with the fork. It is very close to the down tube. The fork rake should be bigger. Are you sure it is straight?

Beautiful...the lug-work is amazing...looks like it's doing 50mph, even when leaning against a wall! ;-)

Hi kgt

been looking at other Master frames and bikes on the net and can see many others with similar clearance on fork/tyre/downtube - also I'm running 25mm tyres so that will make it look tight.

frame is absolutely straight - no signs of any issues, same goes for the forks.

unless these are the wrong forks for this frame, I'm thinking that the 'racy' angles might be due to it being an ex-pro team bike, maybe these were built with minimal clearances and tight angles ?

regards - U.z.

Maybe it's a custom fork but, still, why alter the fork rake-wheelbase and make it more nervous? The master is a race frame, does not need to be modified in anyway.

colnagogeo.gif

mastergeo.jpg

Back