Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Evening all ;)

Just tried to do a link to the original thread , but failed miserably . :( Don't understand computers :roll:
Anyway , the upshot is , DA-EVO GAVE ME :shock: this frame and forks as I said I didn't have anything old enough to do a retro road ride on 16th March . Originally built by him for a friend , it has since been relic'd more than a '60s Road Worn Fender !
Here's how I received it .

And with a stuck seatpost that took two evenings to remove :facepalm: , and I almost knackered the frame in the process

Showing just how far down the seat tube it was !

And the offender :evil:

Having got it out , I took the frame to a local frame builder , who told me that it was safe to ride , and that the damage wasn't sufficient to need a repair . Big relief for me that !
So , I spent the week trying to tidy up the paintwork with a toothbrush and metal poish , before touching up the rusty bits . Buoyed by my progress , I tried to do some lug lining with a brush :facepalm: , hoping it would break up the silver a little , and highlight the lugs . Don't think Colnago has much to worry about , :LOL: but I like it .
Does anyone know the age of the frame BTW ? I know it's a long shot , but the frame number is 3724 .
Already had most of the components to build it up , just needed bars, stem cassette and a new seat post :LOL: :LOL: . It's a mix of old and more modern Ultegra , with Dura Ace 9-speed shifters . I know that's a bit modern , but the only other choice I had was 7-speed RX100 . It will get a new headset on after the retro ride , this is a bit of a mix and match affair due to the low stack height .
Anyway , I hope you like the result .

Mike ;)

Attachments

• Joe W2.jpg
    Joe W2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 675
  • Joe W1.jpg
    Joe W1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 675
  • result.jpg
    result.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 675
  • Collaterral Damage2.jpg
    Collaterral Damage2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 675
  • Your seatpost ! oops.jpg
    Your seatpost ! oops.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 675
  • waugh 5.jpg
    waugh 5.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 675
  • waugh 4.jpg
    waugh 4.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 675
  • waugh 3.jpg
    waugh 3.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 675
Re: Joe Waugh 653

Mind it ?

My depot is on a bloody harbour arm ! Go across lock gates most mornings , unless there is a firkin great boat going into the lock . In which case it's faster to ride the 2 miles around it :evil:

Mike

The History Man":oo6gs0pl said:
Nice work. You mind that seawater. :cool:

Don't want you seatpost getting stuck do we
hearty-laugh.gif

Nob":1v3g5lsp said:
The History Man":1v3g5lsp said:
Nice work. You mind that seawater. :cool:

Don't want you seatpost getting stuck do we
hearty-laugh.gif

Cheers nob :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
There's more grease on that bloody thing than there is in the local cafe mate ;)

me likey :D

love the bar/stem very svelte.
also the lug lining sets it of nicely.
ride that thing!

parfumisme":22xxj5yv said:
me likey :D

love the bar/stem very svelte.
also the lug lining sets it of nicely.
ride that thing!
Thank you my friend . If I were in Antwerp, I'd be heading for Flanders cobbled climb heaven on it now :cool:
The lug lining was a bit tricky and it doesn't look good close up , but it breaks up the silver nicely.

As for the bars and stem , I'd have liked the ITM Superitalia ones I used to have , but these are the same shape but cheaper. I have got a 135mm ITM stem in an older style , but iirc they flex like hell compared to the Eclipse I fitted. And I also think it looks better too mate ;)

NeilM":3ra49y3y said:
That's very nicely understated, I like it.

Thanks Neil , riding position feels the same as my Jackson but the head tube is longer. Just means I'll get backache a bit latet in a ride :LOL:
Already shown a few modern people it's back end :cool:

Mike

Back