What I am currently riding - 4 bikes from the 90's

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well I have tried taking some photo before and posting but never got round to doing the thread properly. Also the bikes are now in there "final" spec.

Pinarello Monviso -early to mid ninties I think. Got the frame of a forum member and it is ace. 58cm c-t. I use this for long distance rides and special events.
Spec - DA 7403 shifters, DA 7403 dual pivot brakes, 7410 crankset 53/39T 175mm, 7410 italina thread BB, 7402 rear mech, 7402 front mech, 7403 hubs 32F/36R o Ambrosio nemesis rims, HG50 12-25T cassette, KMC 8-93 chain, Kalloy seatpost, Selle Italia Flite flow saddle (Modern I know I tried a 1990 flite but it is just uncomfotable), 105 headset, 7401 pedals, Deda 215 shallow drop HPS bars, 3TTT 135mm quill stem and Vittoria Pave 25mm tubular tyres. I have a 7410 headset to fit to this aswell. I love riding this bike it is just comfortable.
Weight 10.7kg as you see it ready to ride with 2 Pave tubs in the saddle bag as spares.
l]

1980 Alan Competizione - another forum purchase
This is use on 50 miles rides or less as the saddle starts to hurt a bit after that.
Spec: Campagnolo Super record (I think) crankset 52/44T 177.5mm, Campagnolo BB, Campagnolo headset, Campagolo super record front mech, Campagnolo Triomphe rear mech, Shimano 1050 brakes, Campagnolo (not sure which ones) brake levers, 3TTT stem, Cinelli bars, Campagnolo Pista L/F hubs 32H on Super Champion Arc de Ceil rims, Continental Gatorskin tubs, Sella Italia turbo saddle and a 13-18T 6 speed freewheel. Hills are a challange on this bike but it just feels good to ride which in part is down to the light rims (340g I think).

1992 Trek 2300 - I bought this frame of a forum member too.
I have swapped wheels roud again. Carbon tubes boned into alloy bits that are purple.
Spec: Shimano 105 headset, Shimao 7800 crankset, 6700 BB, DA 7900 12-23T cassette, KMC 10-93 chain, Novatec A291/F482 28H hubs on Kinlin XR-200 rims with purple nipples laced up with Sapim laser spokes (1360g!), Vittoria Open Pave 27mm tyres, Conti supersonic inner tubes, 6700 rear mech with purple bolts, 1056 front mech, D/T shifters (friction), Cane creek brake levers, KCNC CB1 brakes, purple brake cables, Thompson elite seatpost, Sella Italia SLR XP saddle, Ritchely Logic Pro bars.
Weight 7.83kg now. I love riding this so much nad I have missed it all winter.

The new one - Sannino it is red and again bought of a forum member.
This is the race bike and I will be doing the Ipswich BC spring sscramble on the 23rd March and the Braintree Velo road race on the 30th March. More races too.
It is kitted out with a complete record 10 speed groupset including the BB, seat post, pedals and headset. The frame is steel and made from columbus Genius and weighs 1700g. The fork is Columbus Minimal 1" of course weighing in at 329g. The bars and stem are Deda Superleggaro. I have fitted a sella Italia SLR seat as well. The wheels are miche hubs on some carbon clinchers I bring in from time to time. Note the wafer thin clearance I currently have with 23mm tyres on the back.
Weight 7.9kg but that will drop by 0.5kg with the new wheels and tubular tyres. For steel this is quite light.

So to the forum members who have sold me these frame's thankyou this is what they have been built into and there owner love riding them ad they are seen on many a club ride and events/races.

My favorite is the Sannino I like the look of deep section carbon wheels on a steel bike. And yes the clearance in the rear was one of the first things I noticed. From a purely aesthetic point I don't like uncut steer tubes but my guess is that the bars are just where you like them.

Any way nice looking bike...

Steven

I did cut the steerer but as the head tube is short I have to leave the bars where they are. There is 120mm of saddle to handle bar drop at present. I will experiment with moving the bars down. I find it easier to cut a steerer than to add length to one. Maybe it will get shorter. Also I want to find some 1" carbo spacers.

Can't see the pics as for some reason they are green squares..........."Campagnolo Pista L/F hubs 32H on Super Champion Arc de Ceil rims" caught my eye though, class :)

\Shaun

nice ones bmfop closer to my trek 2300 but will repaint the ally bits which are white , your trek my fav
cause of the weight and what you said about the ride !

I like my Trek given it used to have D/T shifters on a 10 speed ultegra DA set up you could have argued all I should do is fit ultegra STI's and be done with it but there is something about ultegra fishing gear I just don't quite like (look wise that is) so I have bought Campagnolo Athena Ergo's, Athena rear mech and rest came from my part stash a Record square taper 10 speed chainset (new too!) chorus BB, Record pedals (because they are silver of course) and a 2003 chorus 10 speed front mech. The wheels are H plus son archetype on 2006 chorus hubs shod with 27mm Open Pave tyres. I like wide tyres.

I think there is not enough silver in the world of bikes and this bike needed silver bits so badly. That is what is wrong with ultegra it is not silver enough and I don't like the hood shape of the 6600 STI's. So now all I need to do is sell the bits that came of the bike.

This is my training bike now and after today's race I need to do some proper training.

Back