An Introduction and a Scruffy Peugeot

philsbike

Retro Newbie
Hello,

Not sure if intros are the done thing on here, I've been pointed here by a friend as I know next to nothing about road bikes and I've just bought this:

IMAG0585_zpsuokh264n.jpg

Thanks to the info on this forum I've established it's probably a 79-83 Peugeot PX10 but we're pretty sure it's minus most of its original parts. It has the seized remains of one pedal still attached and came with a pair of brand new mountain bike ones. The wheels and tyres are brand new but seem a bit small for it and the saddle doesn't look right either. The chainset gear selector is missing and it needs a full set of cables.

On the plus side the frame seems reasonably tidy for its age and has its original handlebars, stem and forks plus levers. It cost me next to nothing so I thought it was worth a punt as a little restoration project as I've never even ridden a racer before, my daily commuter is a very scruffy GT Tequesta and to be honest mountain bikes are all I know (and I don't know a lot).

It'd be really interesting to know if anyone can shed any light on its ID/value, the only serial number I've found is Y703 09263 stamped on the bottom bracket but I think this might be fairly useless to establish its age. Also if anyone has any helpful suggestions on how I could go about finding the right pedals, wheels and saddle for it I'd be very grateful!

Thanks,

Phil

Not worth a huge amount but, as with Raleighs of the same age, they ride really nicely and hold their age really well. I *think* these came with Turbo saddles originally, but if they didn't then the Turbo is perfectly period correct. Those wheels and tyres look a bit too chunky. It should have 700c wheels with something like a 25mm wide tyre. I don't think these had 27" wheels like a lot of British bikes did in the late 70's.

Don't know if you've seen this, but someone has scanned in all the old Pug catalogues: http://www.peugeotshow.com/

I think yours is a 1985 or later one - you need to look at the Peugeot script and they still had the outline lettering in the 1970's and early 80's.

Thanks Jonny, pretty much what I expected, thanks for the catalogue scan, I'll have a look through that when I get 5 minutes.

Thanks as well for the advice on wheels and saddle, gives me a point to start from! I think I'll probably sell the wheels and tyres in favour of some that are correct rather than trying to make those work.

Back