South African find

CanAmSteve

Dirt Disciple
Having just returned from my annual Cape Town Christmas visit (I won't mention the weather) I wanted to share this year's "find" and also see if anyone can educate me a bit on its unusual "Gilco-style" tubing.

It's a LeJeune steel bike, made in Cape Town by Francois du Toit around 1990 (ish?) He's still in business but hasn't responded to any requests for more info, so perhaps others can fill me in. Here's a bit about duToit from a Joburg newspaper article

Years later, Du Toit was a successful competitive cyclist and working as a regional manager for Peugeot bicycles in the Cape. It was then that he began to realise his dream.

"I said, ‘You know what I want to do in life, I want to actually build my own bikes.' I took my savings and went to France. We made contact with the Le Jeune brothers [acclaimed frame builders in France]."

Du Toit trained under the artisans for four months, before returning to South Africa and starting his own business producing Le Jeune bikes locally, using steel tubing imported from Reynolds, the British supplier.

There was also mention that - at the time - du Toit was one of only ten Reynolds-certified "master frame builders" in the world.

The main tubes on my find are "fluted" in the Gilco/Colnago style, but labeled "Super Prestige", which (AFAIK) seems to refer to some models of Italian frames (referencing a race) and usually built with Cloumbus SL/X tubes. It seems to have some similarity (including the hidden top cable) with this frame (forks much simpler)

viewtopic.php?t=152438

I've attached some pictures for reference. Any info/comments appreciated. (I stripped the Shimano 105 gear off the frame as it was a bit tatty and built it back up with 2X10 Tiagra).

Attachments

• LJ.jpg
    LJ.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 500
  • lj1.jpg
    lj1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 499
  • lj2.jpg
    lj2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 499
Thanks - I was hoping one of the old steel experts could shed some light on the tubing. I know Colnago used (uses?) that style, but historically so did other makers and I believe there were different suppliers as well. I think Tange when I hear Prestige, but I suspect in the case of this frame the "Super Prestige" more a historical race reference.

Im a big fan of the gilco type tube set. I had it on an 92ish Master. It was a really nice ride.

When I googeled around I stumbled over this post:
"I'm new and i just picked up my 1st road bike. I need to identify which model Lejeune it is and if its legit. It has some Lejeune stickers on it, super prestige sticker in the seat tube and reynolds 653 stickers on the fork and frame."

Reynolds 653 stickers? Could that just be a odd stickerhappy kind of dude or have Reynolds made Gilco type tubeset at a point? I know this do not add any info...
Cheers and cangrats with the very nice find!

Back