Falcon Majorca - age unknown

benseddon

Old School Hero
Hi peeps,

So on Sunday i became the proud owner of a falcon majorca road bike. Sources through ebay for the princely sum of 50 notes.

The frame is in good nick but the black paintjob is past its best and could do with a respray. I'm thinking white frame with black forks.

Bike came with shimano rsx shifters and shimano 105 groupset. It's also got mavic 630 rims as it's only a 54cm frame. Also included were some Look clueless pedals and some Valvert Stephen Roche cycling shoes.

The bike works fine after a good wash, thorugh degrease and a generous helping of lube. All that's left to do is re-wrapwrap the handlebars, fit a new seatpost and saddle and give the tyres a pump and I'm away!!

I tried to upload photos but the files were too big.

Heres a link to my Facebook page where there's a couple of pics

https://m.facebook.com/home.php?refsrc= ... 1&_rdr#_=_

https://m.facebook.com/home.php?refsrc= ... 1&_rdr#_=_

Got it now

11855075174_eced714e2c_b.jpg

11855089034_faa373de26.jpg

Not sure why a picture of the shoes but it was in with the other two pics
11855096324_c54b47a5d2.jpg

The shoes came free with the bike. They are Vittoria ( not valvert as i typed previously) Stephen Roche shoes circa 1988. Surprisingly, they are actually more comfortable than my cheap as chips muddy fox cycling shoes........i guess you get what you pay for.

As you can see from the pics, the saddle has seen better days and the Allen bolt on the seatpost is rounded off so they've been swapped for the seatpost and saddle from my 1994 diamondback ascent. It's only a temporary measure as i have a specialized saddle lying around that i intend to use, i just need to get another 26mm seatpost.

First ride on the beast tomorrow. Can't wait.

The weather was glorious today, perfect for my first ride. Just a cheeky 5 miles to check the bike over and get used to it. Gears shifted up and down on both the front and rear without issue and the brakes worked really well despite the greasy roads.The bike runs really well. Cornering was a bit of an issue due to the skinny tyres but on the whole i think I've got a bargain. Only real issue is the handlebars.......not as wide as I'm used to but that can always be changed for a wider set of bars.

Now i know that the bike works i can set about tidying it up. The frame has a few spots of rust on it where the paint has chipped, cables have rubbed etc. The worst of this is just above the bottom bracket. I'll take some pics in the daylight tomorrow and post them up. Not sure how to sort it out like, i guess I'll get the frame sand blasted and powder coated.....any suggestions??

The chap i bought the bike off said it had been stood outside under a tarpaulin for a year or so, so the front chaining is quiet corroded. Need to attack it with some fine grit wallpaper, steel wool and metal polish and it should be right.

Anybody else own a falcon majorca or a falcon bike?

Latest posts

Back