Raleigh Team Banana - upgraded groupset and wheels

ktuludays

Old School Hero
Here is my team banana that i got from ebay late last year for £50.

Frame is in good condition, it's only 18-23 tubing so didn't go crazy with the build. it owes me less than £100 total as it now stands as i utlised my spares i had accumulated

Groupset has been upgraded to late 90's 7 speed sora with original crank kept as it was almost immaculate once cleaned up.
front derailleur was too big to clamp tight to tubing so i have used light clamp rubber shims which seem to be working ok but don't look brilliant so any solutions would be appreciated.
Shimano Downtube cable stops have been fitted which i got from halfords of all places about £5 cheaper than anywhere else!

the original wheels were shot so i have borrowed from my current winter bike a set of mavic 119a rims with shimano hubs and skewers. these are shod with continental gp4000 tyres. Wheels were bought from a seller on the forum in the summer when one of my old wolber rims cracked during a ride.

Headset is standard raleigh banana and the drop bars came with the bike but were not fitted as you will see in the first picture. bars are wrapped in cinelli cork tape which is the worst tape i have ever used, it rips easily and is a real pain to unwrap as it detroys itself.

All bearings have been renewed and any small rust spots touched up until the summer when i will strip the frame, repaint it and add new decals.

all cables and outers are new and the cassette is a shimano hg50 11-28T which helps in the derbyshire hills.

original weinmann brakes have been replaced with a set of Miche Performance 57mm Drop Brakes from wiggle which cost me less than £18 and not only work a treat, they complement the black on the bike quite well.

saddle is a selle royal which has a few nicks in it but is useable for now until funds allow for a new one. I want to try to keep it period(ish)

as purchased:
side.jpg

side3.jpg

frontwheel.jpg

rearwheel.jpg

side3.jpg

post stripdown and rebuild:
20140104_121834.jpg

20140104_121023.jpg

20140104_121018.jpg

20140104_121011.jpg

20140104_121003.jpg

20140104_120959.jpg

20140104_120953.jpg

Perhaps you would wish to turn those downtube cable guides downwards :) The cable will run without an additional bend, and more clearly along the downtube.

Very pretty paintjob :) Those 3300sora brifters from 7spd are very rare!

:)

The new Miche calipers are very sexy with that wet black appearance..

I'd advise you to buy a BDW X-series seatpost which is glossy black, looks pretty awsome. :) If your frame takes a 27.2diametre seatpost :)

kbmpi":vlj18s8g said:
Perhaps you would wish to turn those downtube cable guides downwards :) The cable will run without an additional bend, and more clearly along the downtube. until you mentioned it i didn't notice that i had done them the wrong way! thanks.

Very pretty paintjob :) Those 3300sora brifters from 7spd are very rare! i got those shifters on a £40 ali bike i got

:)

The new Miche calipers are very sexy with that wet black appearance..i agree, they suit the bike well.

I'd advise you to buy a BDW X-series seatpost which is glossy black, looks pretty awsome. :) If your frame takes a 27.2diametre seatpost :) - i'll have a look thanks.

Nice job. I also fitted some Miche Performance brakes on my refurbed Raleigh Equipe that I did last year and they have been really good. Total bargain, brand new for less than £20 - and they work a treat. Here's my green machine, just prior to its maiden cycling holiday in France last summer. It never let me down.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=231594&start=20

Latest posts

Back