Colnago Master Cyclocross

LML999

Dirt Disciple
Thought I'd share this with you all...I picked it up from a collector in the UK a couple of years ago. Don't have any of the details on its history. When I bought it, it had a steel unicrown fork, similar to that on my Dream Cross, so I'm thinking it's from the mid to late '90s. I bought it as a bare frame. I found the carbon Colnago fork on ebay and installed it, along with the Campy Record 10 group. That's a single front chainring on the front. No braze on mount for a front derailleur, although there are cable guides and marks from a clamp-on front derailleur.

I've found a total of three steel cyclocross bikes made by Colnago. As far as I know they never offered these as production frames or bikes, perhaps only as favors to friends of Ernesto. :)

No serial number is on the frame, so the factory could not help with any details. It is a purpose built Colnago frame, with appropriate logos and a longer wheelbase than for a road bike.

I love riding this steel 'cross bike...but given its rarity, I race other bikes, either a Hot Tubes 'cross bike or a Dream Cross.

I'd appreciate information anyone might have on this particular frame or on steel Colnago cyclocross frames...

Attachments

• IMG_1144 5.jpg
    IMG_1144 5.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 2,649
If that has crimped tubes, then it may be a master, but i doubt it
Colnago had the super as a CX, someone here sold a Roger De Vlaeminck a while back, I have seen a super with mid '80's decor for sale before, the the alu Dual had a cx version in the mid '80''s also, the forks on this look similar to the dream cx
I'd like a dream cx

saarf":266rs6s2 said:
If that has crimped tubes, then it may be a master, but i doubt it
Colnago had the super as a CX, someone here sold a Roger De Vlaeminck a while back, I have seen a super with mid '80's decor for sale before, the the alu Dual had a cx version in the mid '80''s also, the forks on this look similar to the dream cx
I'd like a dream cx

Really appreciate your response and your knowledge. Spent some time on your blog yesterday, just WONDERFUL stuff! I'm familiar with Roger's bike (haven't seen it in person though.

No fluting, all round tubes. Here's what I wrote in Wikipedia about this frame: "Lugs and seat stays are similar to those on the Crystal, slightly beefier tubing than other road models (32mm OD downtube, 29mm seattube), relaxed wheelbase, top tube routing for rear brake and derailleur, traditional routing for front derailleur but no braze-on for front derailleur. Colnago bottom bracket shell."

I've taken some additional photos...the first is why I think it's a Master. :)

You seem to know more about older Colnagos than almost anyone on the planet, would really appreciate your insight on this bike... I did include a picture of the original fork in the last picture. The current mounted fork is a carbon fork I installed.

Also, in the one of the attached photos, you can see my Dream Cross in the background. :)

Much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1146.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,570
  • IMG_1147.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 2,570
  • IMG_1148.JPG
    IMG_1148.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,570
  • IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 2,570
  • IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,570
  • IMG_1151.JPG
    IMG_1151.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 2,570
  • IMG_1152.JPG
    IMG_1152.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 2,570
  • IMG_1155.JPG
    IMG_1155.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,570
Thanks for the compliment
looking at that rear stay bridge stamp,it must be some type of master then....rare, my size ? :facepalm:
I did have my doubts about my comment, as the seat tube lug, drop out clover stamps and bb stamp are consistent with the 96 versions on the master, (kinda like on my roadie), what were the original forks like, chromed precisia's?
Good find any way, enjoy!
just noticed the forks, they seem consistent with the mtb range, eg the Maxim from the '90's, shame they never used the master mtb forks, which had embellished crown detailing

A more creative soul than I could make a batch of those chain stay bridges embosed with "master colnago" into some kinda id bracelet in sterling silver. No?
Just me then :facepalm:

and last but not least,
do you have any pictures of the fabulous Unicorn i could post on my site please? ;)

saarf":3w3yr97w said:
did you find it in Europe or America?

Bought in 2009 via ebay. I emailed the seller a year ago about the frame's history, but didn't hear back... :(

saarf":5706wh7j said:
and last but not least,
do you have any pictures of the fabulous Unicorn i could post on my site please? ;)

Sure. Do any of the above pictures work? If so, feel free to grab them, or if that doesn't work, PM me and I can send you the pics directly.

Latest posts

Back