Bianchi with a modern twist

Gastheerg

Old School Hero
For Paris-Roubaix cicloturist 2008 I needed a bike. All my bikes at that time where not comfortable enough. And there was no space for 28mm tyres.

I decide to look for an old Italian steel frame with poor, very poor paint.
For 50 Euro I found a steel Bianchi. A repaint job made the frame as new.

The paint scheme was celeste with retro white blocs on the two main tubes.
For components I used Campagnolo 10 speed in alu color. Some Veloce and some Centaur. Al components where "old before 2008 stock" and value for money.
For rims I take the bom-proof Mavic Open Pro and 36 spokes per wheel. With these wheels you can go to war.
Cinelli handlebar (old stock) give the bike an extra classic twist.

n1041070330_30080515_5052.jpg

Some details:
klaar_08.jpg

A friend (lovely lady) at Bianchi delivered me this lovely badge. Thanks so much :mrgreen:
klaar_06.jpg

klaar_07.jpg

36 spokes! Yes the cobbles of Paris-Roubaix can be hard. You can do with less but I don't have a support car with a dozen off wheels :mrgreen:
klaar_10.jpg

On the lugs you can see this is a low end Bianchi frame but for this purpose it's ok
klaar_04.jpg

When you hit the cobbles you don't invest 130 Euro in a headset :idea:
klaar_02.jpg

As always, a very neat build with a number of classy touches.

As for a Bianchi for €50... not round these parts. :roll:

Building a bike is great fun but hit the road for is even more important.

At the start off Paris-Roubaix 2008. Early: the NON fun part off the hobby :shock:
d22068.jpg

First 90k of normal road but the first sections of cobbles: MUD, MUD, MUD
pr_04.jpg

The famous forest off Wallers Arenberg. If there is a hell on earth it must be here :evil:
d21065.jpg

In 2009 there was no Paris-Roubaix for cicloturists so I organised a small edition for a few friends. In the front the Bianchi and I in the corner of the hard section off Gildert Ducloss-Lassalle.
DSCN2426.jpg

At that same event in the corner at Carrefour de L'Arbre.
DSCN2444.jpg

On the outside off the mythical shower building at the velodrome off Roubaix
DSCF3138.jpg

Not allowed to bring in the bike ;)
DSCF3133.jpg

In 2010 a few days for the pro race on a recon. We did a few K with a French team.
Naamloos-1.jpg

During a recon in 2011.
IMG_1152.jpg

That year I did a few K with the Garmin team. I riding right in the front :cool:
IMG_1138-1.jpg

Did a section side by side with Thor Hushovd. Nice guy! The mechaniker from Saxo loved the bike I was riding on :mrgreen:

Put the bike several times in very hard cobblestone conditions but it never failed. Can it be harder to test a bike?

I was told that at the end of the race, the wheels of most of the bikes are ruined and that many of the frames cannot but used in a race again, although they may be ok for training. :shock:

Those shots at the top are not conti 4s. They have amber sidewalls.

Montello":2o1tfdos said:
Those shots at the top are not conti 4s. They have amber sidewalls.

Indeed. They are Veloflex and just for showing. On the cobbles I use the Conti 4 season 28mm

A few times I used the very low cost Michelin Dynamic 28mm

On the Flanders Tour track in the winter:

DSCF2937.jpg

vla3.jpg

Back