Trek OCLV - Modern (sorry) - UPDATED 11/01/14

ovlov440

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A couple of years ago I was given a Sunn Roader by my then brother-in-law. Although it wasn't particularly high specced or light it was fun enough for me to resurrect my interest in roading.

This led to the purchase in July last year of a 2003 Trek 2300 road bike. This as you may know is an aluminium frame with carbon fork, and full Ultegra with Bontrager wheels (colour coded blue to the silver/blue frame). The frame is ZX9000 alloy which is basically the same recipe as Gradient (but with different buttings and without the smooth welds of a Klein). It has been fantastic to ride, light quick and stable. The only complaint I have had is that the rear end is rather unforgiving.....

.....so started the search for an OCLV frame in the same 56cm size as my 2300. My plan was to find one in the same silver/blue colourway as my 2300 (basically USPS colours) so that all the parts on the 2300 could move straight across and the blue bits of it (wheels/saddle/bars) would blend right in.

To that end I ended up purchasing an OCLV frame and forks the other week in full USPS colours. Great? Yes, up to a point.

I had a friend collect the F&F from Mansfield and I collected it from him a few days later when he came down south. The frame and forks are structurally fine, however the decals on the fork and top tube are both damaged and have lifted. This didn't show in the photos, and to be honest I didn't ask so I have put it down to 'thats life'

After I purchased the frame (but before I received it) I made the decision to keep the 2300, but put the best bits on the OCLV and buy what bits I needed to keep the 2300 on the road. It therefore has been returned to a triple front setup, and sports a set of black Ritchey wheels from a Boardman. The blue bits are set to go onto the OCLV. But with the decals lifting (and leaving a ridge due to fact they are debossed underneath the laquer) this means that it would be nigh on impossible to return this to the current USPS colourway, without more funds than I am willing to spend.

Sooooo - the plan is this. Remove all the decals (with a hairdryer). Wet and dry the frame to remove the laquer only and then send the frame and forks to be painted........white. In my minds eye a white frame with blue rims/saddle/headset/bartape and decals will look relatively clean. I just hope the reality turns out as well I imagine it :D

Attachments

• $T2eC16RHJHsFGlBh-bRfBS,,DR6rf!~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16RHJHsFGlBh-bRfBS,,DR6rf!~~60_12.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,762
Re: Trek OCLV - Modern (sorry)

I like your idea for giving it a respray.It would be a good idea to do that with all the oclv's which trek re-badged as 'Lemond's' :cool:

Maybe like this , but without the red ?

Mike ;)

Attachments

• trek.jpg
    trek.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,745

Mike

Thanks for the pic - yes that is what I am imagining. Useful to know that my brain can be trusted sometimes!

Ade

always liked dem bontrager wheels, i think i'll buy a set one day.

Ade , I'll send out your seatpost on Tuesday mate . You can buy this bike if you want , today I've decided to sell it .
Mike ;)

I found a company on ebay that does them in many colours . I do have some red ones and yellow ones at home I think if you're interested Ade
Mike

Cheers for the offer Mike. I have seen the ones of Ebay and my plan at the moment is to get a set of blue ones to match as close as possible the colour blue that is on the wheel rims and saddle from the 2300 that will end up on the OCLV. In fact the original plan was not to do anything to the frame at all but because of the damage to the decals it is sort of 'necessary' although I didn't know you could get USPS decals at all (even though they are not the same colour as the ones I have currently)

Back