Pinarello Montello - 198?

bonzoxedge

Dirt Disciple
Ok, let's do this.. A proper build thread!

Just came home with a Pinarello Treviso. I think I did quite a bargain. Frame is in excellent condition, no rust at all. Just dust and dirt.

Can't find it in any catalog though, so any help is welcome. It has a sticker with dates of 1981 on it, so I suspect it's from shortly after (1982 maybe).

- frame is stamped in the fork crown, seatstays and under the bottom bracket
- Columbus SLX tubing
- has an eyelid for a race number (so professional frame?)
- chromed forks, semi chromed seatstays

Plan is to build it up period correct, so I'm thinking Campa Super Record.

I was able to take only one picture before my phone died.. So more pictures tomorrow!

qQFxxQvh.jpg

Re: Pinarello Treviso - 198?

Hi,

I'm sure there's someone with far greater knowledge of Pinarellos than me on this forum but if it's made with Columbus SLX then I think it's more likely to be a Montello. The Montellos also had the rear brake cable internally routed through the top tube just like yours whereas I believe the early Treviso frames had external cable guides.

Either way the frame looks great but you may have something even better than you first thought!

I couldn't resist and first thing today was stripping the frame and giving it a fast clean. I'm really starting to fall in love with this beast. The details of Pinarello frames really suprise me.

A Montello would be crazy. I was thinking a Treviso because it's the only thing that is present on the frame. Now I learned that's not conclusive.

So I still don't know what I have in hands here. If someone could help me out, let me know.

I did notice a 5-digit serial number under the bottom bracket, but the paint is too thick to read it properly.

28sgXFkh.jpg

m8GHCaXh.jpg

GIKXBo9h.jpg

nXyik5bh.jpg

gwO5QNYh.jpg

IRUWhpPh.jpg

wNZP8ach.jpg

7fWbfMQh.jpg

NbnmUUEh.jpg

een9nMS.jpg

XzbFrsAh.jpg

AyF6bbKh.jpg

Trevisio was made in SL. Montello in SLX.

I can't tell from you photos if there is a bridge between the chain stays?

Montello had no bridge. Looking a your BB pictures it looks like a Montello to me.

Have a look at my link below.

Looks like a team bike to me, were telekom in those colours on pinarello a in the 1980s?

Dates don't quite fit but perhaps in the 80s they were running a national team.

Colours fit and they were on pinarellos.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobile_Team

Note you should find a duplicate frame number on the steerer.

Some frame numbers on my site.

Read this page.

************************/pinarello/montellos.shtml

Montello":33nzfep3 said:
Note you should find a duplicate frame number on the steerer.
Some frame numbers on my site.
Read this page.
************************/pinarello/montellos.shtml
Montello":33nzfep3 said:
Trevisio was made in SL. Montello in SLX.

I can't tell from you photos if there is a bridge between the chain stays? Montello had no bridge. Looking a your BB pictures it looks like a Montello to me.

Have a look at my link below.
Looks like a team bike to me, were telekom in those colours on pinarello a in the 1980s?
Dates don't quite fit but perhaps in the 80s they were running a national team.
Colours fit and they were on pinarellos.
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobile_Team

Thanks for your reaction(s)

I'll be able to check the number on the steerer. There's an ugly Miche headset fitted now, so that has to go.

There is no bridge between the chain stays.

Telekom only started as a team in the early 90s. They rode Eddy Merckx first, just up to 1995. So I have no idea about the paint scheme, all the team bikes I find on cyclingarchives.com are single colored.

However, it's a Montello. That really exceeds my expectations!

See that? you post on Retrobike and are automatically upgraded from a Triviso to a Montello. They should charge more for this service...

lewisfoto":282vr1km said:
See that? you post on Retrobike and are automatically upgraded from a Triviso to a Montello. They should charge more for this service...

Looks like someone got a bargain. :D

Has to be linked to Telekom in those colours.

latman":wvc0p4ow said:
slx only arrived in 85 or 86 I think

I believe it was earlier than that ...

Back