1966? Triumph daily fixwheel

jon w

Old School Hero
My next fixed wheel project after the Rudge got me hooked on this style of bike riding had to be a daily that I didn't mind getting wet or covered in mud.

So dragging another frame from the oblivion of the pile I was given during the summer (see below) I found a scruffy but serviceable Raleigh Triumph.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=265294

As found;

Cleaned and mocked up:

Add bits to it

Details:

Finished and got dirty!!!

Removed the sit up and beg bars as they were lethal at anything above pottering pace. Replaced with an ally quill stem and flat bars (much better). Also dropped the gearing to a less savage 48/18.

For brakes I've made a modern/70's hybrid. Looks great IMO and works very, very well!!!

Riding around I got offered a pump which finishes it off nicely.

Latest mods to the triumph.

To assist daily duties it has been fitted with a rack and panniers. This left the ugly light mount on the rack begging for something retro to be added.....

1960's Wipac tail lamp off of a motorcycle.... was in a box of parts which came with a project brit bike I'm doing up. Not correct for the motorcycle, but had to find a use for it!

With two red leds behind it, a couple of resistors and some varo board... add 2x AA battery pack you get...

The battery should last 24hrs and it has a reflector built in as well.

Nice to see another old timer on the road. I'm not big fan of deep-V rims although on this bike it looks quite good, maybe white hubs not so well. And the light, that's really original addition, on the picture it's like an exhaust of turbo jet engines, very cool.
Overall nice bike :)

Re:

I have totally failed to say how much I love the look of this bike, even though I've been ogling it ever since you first posted pictures of it. It is the absolute business.

Re:

More changes....

Decided to try drop bars for a while. This is an experiment, will see ho it goes.

Also the eagle eyed of you will notice that the tail light had gone.... the lense broke! Am now looking for a new lense at auto-jumbles.

Back