Lo Pro

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Another build, again from the parts bin. Just had to buy a chain.

Absolutely no idea of the maker, i'm placing my bets on Italian as it has Italian threads. No stamps or frame markings apart from the size - 57 and the letter E inbetween the chainstays. Plan was to save up and get it professionally sprayed and badged up as a Rossin (I bought it on the belief it was a Rossin as that is how it was advertised). I've no reason to believe it isn't a Rossin but i've nothing to prove it either way. Not a fan of things being badged up as something they're not so i'm at a loss with future plans for it.

Anyway, it's built up with DA 7400 group except the headset which is 600. Rear is Wolber Profil 18 on FT hub with 7-speed block, front is Mavic GL330 on a 600 hub. ITM eclypse stem with Mavic bars & Modolo levers. Want a new stem as I've some NOS Cinelli Tempo bars so that will be one thing to be changed.

Paint is gold leaf that has in the most part worn away so it's a blend of gold into chrome which I can live with for the foreseeable future. It's tatty in places and won't win any beauty competitions so i'm going to use this as a work bike so that I completely wreck the paint finish and i'll be forced into getting it re-furbished.

Just done a 6-mile shakedown ride - fast & fun is all I can say. Anyway a few photos....

Attachments

• IMAG0430.jpg
    IMAG0430.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 859
  • IMAG0429.jpg
    IMAG0429.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 859
  • IMAG0428.jpg
    IMAG0428.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 859
A bit after my time but a classy looking machine. The finish is interesting, is it some sort of plating?

Shaun

It is (was) gold plating - someone invested some decent cash into having that done, either at factory or at a later date. Not even entertaining the thought of having it re-done - too flash, too expensive! I wanted to have it re-done with the Rossin red blue & yellow paint scheme but I think i'll be heading down the wrong route as I just can't get to anything close to conclusive in terms of who made the thing! It's lovely and light so it's a quality frame build with super smooth brazing - just wish I knew what factory it came from.

A nice single 57 ring would make this look a whole lot better & a proper TT machine.
EG Bates did a chrome effect but I opted out of that but this frame does look very stylish.

During the 'what shall I do with this' stage I tried a 55T ring from a more modern DA crank but it doesn't look right, nor does the disc wheel (IMO), hence the more traditional option I ended up with. Certainly don't disagree on making it look more 'proper' but the reality is that I wasn't going to build this until it had been to paint, it's only the fact that I can't suss the maker that I thought just build it and ride it.

Attachments

• IMAG0432.jpg
    IMAG0432.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 822
  • IMAG0431.jpg
    IMAG0431.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 822
New stem just won on evilbay so that's Ian happy :) - will be swapping to Cinelli Tempo bars with Cinelli TT brake levers.

Cheers Dorset :) It looks well but rides better, lo-pro's are huge fun.

I'm hoping that the following may have given me some impetus on the 'find the maker' game. No absolute 100% concrete proof but this is the closest thing I can find on the net.... http://lopro.blogspot.co.uk/search?upda ... date=false ....which coincidentally features Nob just below. What's your opinions / thoughts on it being a Chesini as per the bike 3/4 the way down the page? Very similar to mine in construction and obviously in gold plating - even the patina has aged the same! Mine being Italian threaded as well....or is it just wishful thinking?

Also agree that it has the look of a Telfer, but they would of been of british threads would they not?

Cheers for any input - this is annoying the hell out of me trying to nail down the maker...

Back