Low budget Bianchi for L'Eroica 2008

Gastheerg

Old School Hero
In 2008 I was entering my first L'Eroica. For me it was a great year in cycling. I june i did a great Paris-Roubaix a lot of other great cycling events.

d21065.jpg

Special for Paris-Roubaix i build this Bianchi:
n1041070330_30080515_5052.jpg

The frame got a repaint job and put some modern stuff on the bike. Enjoy the bike!
My first intention was to use the bike as well for L'Eroica. In 2008 there where no regulations about the bike. So the new shifters en click-pedals was no problem.

But for me as a great fan of retro bikes I had to have another bike.

The travel to Italy for L'Eroica cost some money. Flight, hotel etc. So I give myself an objective to purchase a bike, wool jersey and shoes under 200 Euro!

200 Euro :shock: YES :mrgreen:

I found this Bianchi for 75 Euro
bianchi_01.jpg

With it's original bottle
bianchi_02.jpg

The bike was a little more the 30 years old. The owner bought it as a student because he liked the color. But cycling was not his up off tea. But he loved the color and he keep the bike. Till his wife ordered him to clean up the garage :facepalm:
He put and add and I wrote him with the story about that great event in Tuscany.
He got enthusiastic and 75 Euro was ok

But I need some new hoods:
bianchi_03.jpg

Found them for 10 Euro on the internet. Not original but they fit well
bianchi_08.jpg

I swop the tubular wheels for cylinders. Cost zero Euro. I put on some crazy cheap Chinese tires. 10 Euro per piece and classic looks.

The gearbox came out France and for me that was ok
bianchi_09.jpg

And what about these cranks?
bianchi_11.jpg

I cleaned the chainwheels and the look almost new
bianchi_oud_001.jpg

More...................first take a whisky :idea:

And look at these lovely Bianchi bolts
bianchi_oud_002.jpg

After a shower the Huret looks as new............
bianchi_oud_003.jpg

Even the Universal brakes looks as new. After a few hours :?
bianchi_oud_005.jpg

L'Eroica is a hard ride so extra powerfull bar ends :mrgreen:
bianchi_oud_008.jpg

I swapped the original pedals with a collector. It bring me technical better pedals and 20 Euro for my project
bianchi_oud_012.jpg

Toeclips are new and cost me 8 Euro
bianchi_oud_011.jpg

An uncommon solution :shock:
bianchi_102.jpg

As handelbar tape I used medical tape from an old medical box from work. The box was over his expiration date but we retro bike lovers are fine with expiration dates :mrgreen:
bianchi_04.jpg

Then it looks like this (changed the tires later when I enter L'Eroica for the cheaper ones)
bianchi_08.jpg

A friend mention this picture and was not comfortable with the nylon straps. She (yes women also love retro bikes) jumps in the car and bring me two leather straps. I felt like Christmas :xmas-big-grin:

Than I need some clothes. First a cap. That was not a bargain: 10 Euro
bianchi_oud_014.jpg

I found this wool jersey. NEW!!!!!!!!!!! 40 Euro!
DSC_2123.jpg

A few days for the testride I found these shoes for only 15 Euro
oud_07.jpg

I collected myself a great set up for the great event.............

Then I moved to Gaiole (Tuscany-Italy)

This is the bar in front of the start and finish of L'Eroica
334.jpg

Put on the start number
e_04.jpg

At the first ristoro in Radi
DSCF0243.jpg

After 12,5 hours at the finish. Totaly cooked. Doing cycling for so many years. Did all the classics, most big mountains etc. But this was realy hard. 205k, 112 of them on strade bianche, almost 4000 meters climbing, old shoes, heavy bike. But great landscape, great food, lovely people and memories for ever.
PICT0547.JPG

Your stories and posts are a real pleasure to read! I can smell the passion from your pictures :) Keep on posting and showing your bikes :D !

Flandria":1vcet1qm said:
Your stories and posts are a real pleasure to read! I can smell the passion from your pictures :) Keep on posting and showing your bikes :D !

Thanks! But at the finish at my first L'Eroica I almost swopt to another passion :mrgreen:

Something like.................something easy :cool:

I was scrolling down and was going to link you to a site that does those lovely retro Bianchi jerseys, but it looks like you already found them!

Another great post, nice pics too.

Bet you couldn't find a Bianchi like that for 75 euros today, sadly.

Is the Eroica really only 112km of strade bianche? It feels like a hell of a lot more...

Johnsqual":2h9ka94s said:
Bet you couldn't find a Bianchi like that for 75 euros today, sadly.

Not on internet but family, colleague's at work etc. Put a photo on your desk with an old bike! You create an opportunity to start a conversation :cool:

Is the Eroica really only 112km of strade bianche? It feels like a hell of a lot more...

Your right. It looks like a LOT, LOT more :shock:

The Bianchi on a testride two days before the great adventure.
ddd.jpg

Strade bianche? This is what it is:
381.jpg

A few "modern" riders during the L'Eroica 2008. From 2009 there are regulations :!:
43.jpg

Great souvenir
DSC_9090.jpg

Hard ride but great, great adventure and great memory's.

Back