Gillott track 1950's or earlier.

luckyskull76

Retro Guru
I picked this up yesterday. Sold to me by a real cycling enthusiast. A mini bike museum in his house. It was worth the money just to see his collection.....

I believe it to be 50's? It has an grease port on the BB shell that has been covered up, I will restore this.
Would this have taken a Headclip headset?
I would like to build this as close to period correct as possible. Suggestions on components would be welcome.
A new paint job is on its way.

I would love to know It's history. Who used to own it. Age?
Serial number and letters on bottom bracket shell:
British Made
GB23 V
54 79
KHW CM112(i belive this to be the police dater stamp)

[/QUOTE]

Hi, it looks a very early one, very jealous, with some unique lugs. At the classic lightweight site http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/gillott3.html half way down the page, is an example of some similar lugs. I think the only way you are going to date it, is take the fork off, the real serial number should be on the steerer. If you can contact Mark Stevens, he's the Gillott expert, and very helpful, he has a curly lugged Gillott at http://www.flickr.com/photos/makfreak/s ... 258374205/ . Terry

thanks Terry,
I have just written to Mark Stevens, hopefully i will get a reply.

Having taken the fork out, it has 5479 on it.... According to classic lightweights this would indicate 1954..... 79th frame built that year....

i found my frame on Mark Stevens website, he had this to say about it: This frame is very pretty but a completely new one on me. It has the very rare Curly Cut lugs on the head and the classic Spear lug cut on the top and down tubes. The headclip type lugs and Curly Cut implies pre 1949. The frame number of 5479 does not help. I am thinking it could be a mis- stamp of 9457 but that may be wishful. That would make it the 7th frame built in 1945. Gillotts began framebuilding in May 1945. The real problem with this frame is that it has been 'fixied'. It has had modern track ends fitted. A frame of this vintage would have had the frame number on both rear dropouts. It has had other stampings on the bracket, namely the owners initials and postcode. The sprayers mark of 191 and this 5479 number appear but not centrally where post 52 Gillotts had their frame number. The NOS headbadge has been glued on which means there are no badge holes. this also implies pre 1948 when badges became available or a wish for a light frame. The first badges were of enamelled brass (1948-1951) I also believe that the forks are a later addition. The frame is built with headclip type lugs but the fork steerer is short.. With the loss of its dropouts and forks it has lost its identity (true frame number and hence year of build) and a very important one at that.

The drilled track fork but a rear bridge made for a brake had me stumped, but I guess it makes sense that the rear drop-outs have been changed. I probably wouldn't get the drop-outs changed because it's an expensive job and since the fork doesn't match you have to ask yourself if it's really worth trying to make it more original again.

Yours made me think of this one which came up on eBay about a year ago. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't bid up a bit to win it. Beautiful frame:

7Er9nzv.jpg

the fork is correct, they have the same numbers as the BB shell stamped on it.... its just the dropouts on them have been changed for more modern ones......

often track frames of this time would have a rear brake drilling.....

i think i am going to gets some quotes....

Gillott's are a frame to be wary of...I am alluding to well documented concerns with regard to this builder.

Jon.

Back