Raleigh Sprite

crazyjokeuk

Dirt Disciple
I have got this bike and would like some advice about wether to repaint or just polish what paint is left. I believe the bike is 1961 and seems to have all the original bits.

Personally I'd do as much as I can to degrese, clean and polish. There is much charcter in that old paint job. New tyres, a good does of some proofide on that saddle and some new cloth bar tape will help a lot. The brake blocks will be shot too I suspect so a new set tof those as well. Nice.

I'd do something about that chainwheel too. A period Williams or Raleigh 49 tooth would be better. Steel of course!

crazyjokeuk":s5s7rfpg said:

I have got a copy of the advert for the bike but cannot find any other infor or pictures of others.

Gets my vote! :D

Does anyone know if this is a rare find as most sprites come with a sit up and beg style and I think this is the only year they made it as a racer?

Lovely bike in original condition although, as mentioned, the chainset might be a replacement. I agree with Spokesmann about not repainting. Re further info have you searched the catalogue archives on here, retro Raleigh, Bulgier.net, Velo Pages? Also have a search on Flickr.

Interesting how the ad shows sidepulls and the bike in thread has lovely GB Courier 66s instead - great choice of brake and still OK, with the correct adjustment and blocks...

Latest posts

Back