Coppi 50 anniversary (special paint job)

Gastheerg

Old School Hero
This is an old steel frame with modern parts. So I hope it's ok to post this.

I was always a great fan of Fausto Coppi. Visit his grave several times and read a lot of books about the campionissimo.

In 2010 it was 50 years ago Coppi died on malaria in a hospital in Tortona.

For me this was an opportunity to pay my respect to the great champion. There is no better way to do that with a special bike.

I bought an old stock Coppi frame. It was ugly yellow an i did a repaint job. The colors are in de colors of the famous Bianchi shirt that Coppi wears a big part of his carrier.

After the paint job
DSC_1562.jpg

I build the bike special for two rides. One of them was Paris-Roubaix
DSC_1597.jpg

I looks great with the rainbow jersey
DSC_1642.jpg

For Paris-Roubaix I want some comfort
DSCF3570.jpg

But on normal rides fine classic rubber :mrgreen:
DSC_1967.jpg

Modern but silver colored components
DSC_1971.jpg

A fine stem of Cinelli
DSC_2196.jpg

Compleet story on these tires :shock:
DSC_2201.jpg

Loved the color more and more
DSC_2215.jpg

I'm not a racist but no black parts allowed
DSC_2219.jpg

It must be e memorial bike so here it is:
DSC_2226.jpg

And here the nick name of Fausto
DSC_2229.jpg

Some details
DSC_2237.jpg

Found this fine jersey
DSC_2431.jpg

Complete bike
DSC_2189.jpg

More to come...................

With a bike like this the maiden trip must be a party:
DSC_2445.jpg

And put it in front of some other paint jobs
tunnel002.jpg

Or put it in front of some extra blue
DSCF4990.jpg

And the bike was ready where it was build for. On the cobbles of |forest Arenberg. The hardest of all. The bike was blue, the jersey was blue but the sky was pitch dark: rain and thunderstorms. Like a real Paris-Roubaix. Photo during the edition for cyclotourists 2010
D300124.jpg

Rain, rain and i had that song of Creendance Clearwater Revival in my head :LOL:
SBB_1014.jpg

On Carrefour de L'Arbre. On this section most of the times in the Pro-race the riders are completely cooked.
D300170.jpg

Bike and rider are fine and arrive at the velodrome.
olympus_mirjam047.jpg

From this great event I made a fine photo book but not in blue................just in B&W but with the Coppi on the cover.
boek_01.jpg

It was a wet Paris-Roubaix but not cold so it was a great day.

NeilM":3rjouvgd said:
..............wonderful story.

But more story's where written with this bike.

In 2011 there was Firenze-Modena. A tribute to the first Giro-stage won by Fausto Coppi in 1940.
Normal on 2 june the Italian National celebration day. But 2 june in 2011 was on the same day as Ascension Day. Also a important day in Italy.
So they moved the event and for me it was no longer possible to take place on the start line in Firenze.

But my Italian friends did a great job and special for me and my Ducth cycling buddy they organized an extra edition. What a great friends!

The original graphic from 1940. Route was exact the same!!!!
Firenze%2520Modena.jpg

Start on the velodrome in Firenze. The Coppi was ready for it.
DSCF6419.jpg

Velo Club Modena delivered the supporting car (great bike at the back :mrgreen: )
DSC_0230.jpg

But even a great bike can have a puncture. I did the photo so Giuseppe can do the wheel :cool:
DSCF6425.jpg

During one of the climbs
CIMG4937.JPG

Coppi monument on the passo Abetone
DSCF6431.jpg

Coppi in Italy= GOD. So more monuments..........
DSCF6467.jpg

Our Italian friends did a great job :oops:
CIMG4993.JPG

Not only Coppi but some other Italian hero was on the route
DSCF6461.jpg

Crossing the Apennines is great
CIMG4932.JPG

Special jersey for this special day
P1130629.jpg

like you i am a fan of Coppi, i have a 1999 Galaxy frame (same as used by team polti) it's currently not built as i'm in the process of looking for Dura Ace for it, i'm usually a campagnolo rider but i wanted to do the team thing on it.

i really like what you've done there with that though, the paint looks great and campag was the right choice for it, also i completely agree with the no black components, i'd much rather see polished alloy parts than dull black or carbon parts.

very nice machine and good story with it.

:D

Fabulous bike and photos - really stunning. Can I say I prefer it with the amber wall tires in the early pictures?

Back