1981 Peugeot Record Du Monde

vonhoolio

Dirt Disciple
after starting to lose the will to live searching for the right bike to restore & ride I bumped into an 1981 Peugeot Du Monde on ebay that seemed a good purchase. I'm not that fussed on the credibility of the tubing or the high end finishing kit as the bike is going to get well used, hopefully for L'Eroica next year if all goes well, and having the lightest steel frame isn't much of a concern for me at all. The listing said this:
Peugeot record Du Monde road racing / touring bike
in rare orange colour
Very Retro in very superp original condition
60cm frame
27 in wheels with 2 brand new never been ridden touring tyres
Weinmann alloy brake set
Atax stem
from 1981 in good condition for a 32 year old bike
10 speed Simplex gears with plunger front mech

The pictures looked clean...

le monde 1 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

Le monde 2 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

So £137 later it arrives... wonderfully packed.. :LOL:

Le monde 3 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

Its in great condition. I'll take more picture tomorrow if I get the chance. I have no real idea about the bikes provenence, I'm just going to strip it, polish clean it, rebuild and stick a decent saddle & tires on it (keeping the rest as standard).

I'd love any info anyone can give me on it.
Jas

That looks great from the pictures! There's a link on here somewhere to all the old Peugeot catalogues so I'm sure you'll have no problem nailing down the exact model and spec. Oh, have you seen these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251153745209

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Cheers Jonny69, I have added the jersey to my xmas list :)

I had a quick look at the old Peugeot catalogues but it looks like an in depth affair to try and work out what the bike is. I have gathered the Record Du Monde logo was pretty much stuck on anything for a while so its not that good a clue.
The 1st owner supposedly bought it in 1981 from Middleton Cycles in Ormskirk, the badge is still on the bike..

le monde 4 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

it cleaned up ok too...

le monde 5 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

Other than that is has a sticker under the bottom bracket .. looks like a shop / stock sticker..

le monde 6 by vonhoolio, on Flickr
It says...
H10E 60

then the last ID stamped on bike is here...

le monde 7 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

I'll dig around to see if I can get any details on the model later, its no big worry though. I have gathered that the paint isn't an overly common scheme in the history of Peugeot though, so that may make it easier.

The bike rides as it is, but I stripped it anyway and regreased , t-cut and lightly polished everything. I want it to look its age, but well cared for.

le monde 8 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

Weinmann 500 brakes polished up easily, it seems to have original Weinmann pads in too.

le monde 9 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

Chain ring looks in great condition to me

le monde 10 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

So far the bar tape is goosed (looks yuk anyway) so I'll be putting some new black stuff on there. I need two brake cables/outers and I want a saddle so I'll look at an old Brooks b17 in black simply because I like them....I'll be on ebay tonight...

le monde 11 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

Next on the list to polish is the Rigida chrome rims with the serrated brake surface...I'm not sure how to clean the spokes though....or if I should even bother..

le monde 12 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

le monde13 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

Scotchbright pad and WD40 for the spokes, those pads won't stop in the wet, you need leather faced pads for chromed steel rims!
(I have a rare San Marco Brooks b17 copy for sale, black, looks like new £30 posted,
Pics here, the levers and bars/stem are for sale also...)

really nice find! :)

H10E is the model number of your Peugeot, 60 is the frame size, date should be around 1979

More information here and here

Back