1987 Raleigh Record Sprint

MrW

Senior Retro Guru
Here we go again...!

1987 RRS, the last year (to the best of my knowledge) that this model 'wore' the Space Shuttle graphics, despite the fact that the Round-Oval-Round Reynolds 501 Tubing was dropped in favour of Round tubing for 1987.

I've owned this since 2008, original picture is the one from eBay.

Finally stripped off the original decals today, and I'm in the process of renovating the original paintwork as it's too good to re powder coat, but won't be good enough until its had the Faraclay/T Cut/Autoglym treatment!

All the equipment was stripped and polished back in 2008, which just leaves me with the wheels to sort....

Rear wheel is 100% intact, front wheel is down to rim and hub, don't ask me why, I think I had a funny 5 minutes back in 2008 and thought I'd strip it down. Subsequently I have lost the spokes, so I'll probably end up having both wheels rebuilt with chromed spokes to add to the bling!

More pictures will be uploaded as progress is made!

Prior to decal removal and paintwork refurbish:

Bling teaser:

Found some. I'm out looking for gold bike bits all the time. Slowly piecing together something for a friend.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
More progress:

NOS Selle Royal Dolphin Saddle in Black suede fitted

New repro decals fitted

No gold cable housing?

It looks so good. It's really shocking, actually, to see one of these as new.

Bats":3by1qt17 said:
No gold cable housing?

It looks so good. It's really shocking, actually, to see one of these as new.

Thank you, I've tried to keep as much original as I can, right down to the inner cables, and even the bar tape which has some slight damage, but I can live with that, it all adds to the 'made by someone in Nottingham in 1987' feel.

This is the 1987 variant, gone is the Aerospace Contour frame, the brazed on front mech mount and the gold cable housings...

This one has twin bottle mounts, and black cable housings but otherwise is as per the 1984-1986 variant.

As my original post states, this was the last time that any Raleigh 'wore' the Space Shuttle graphic, and indeed the other decals that were carried over from the previous 2 years

Been looking for a good Aero frame bike with good stickers which is nigh on impossible.
You said you have repro decals. Do you mind telling me where you got them from?

Back