Raleigh Record Sprint - Project

James_G

Dirt Disciple
Recently picked this up as a bit of a project, a Raleigh Record Sprint from the late 80s I guess. Photos below taken as it came out of the shed, hence the cobwebs.

Previous owner has swapped out the brakes, crankset and front derailleur for Campag Mirage items. Alas the frame is too big for me, so that's going but everything else seems sound enough.

Two questions, if I may

- what does "SXC" on the frame refer to?

- I've stripped the Sachs hubs and replaced with new ball bearings, but they still don't feel right. What's the most cost effective option - new cones or would you start again with a new axle assembly?

Cheers

James

Raleigh-6_zpsf969aa0b.jpg

Raleigh-3_zps73f65745.jpg

Raleigh-11_zps6489d704.jpg

Raleigh-7_zps4fbaa647.jpg

Raleigh-5_zps8af8aecc.jpg

Oooh err! Snap!

Just thinking though... If the frame is too big, wouldn't swapping it make it a different bike?

Yours must be a later one, maybe even early 90s? I can only find Raleigh racer catalogues up to 84, but I know after 85 they started putting less and less gold on them. Finding the catalog is key to finding out what SXC means, I think.

So an update on the progress to date. I fitted new brake blocks, put some air in the tyres and went for a ride, which served to confirm that the frame is definitely too big. Plus the seat post was stuck.

So a few weeks of looking on eBay turned up this 52cm Peugeot in a fetching shade of blue.

P1020337_zpsb4bb9bb4.jpg

P1020336_zpsa6ff482d.jpg

No idea what model it is, despite looking in the catalogues on here and images on the net, but its lack of rainbow colours of other Peugeots is interesting. Sticker says Reynolds 501 though and looks legit enough.

So the Raleigh got put in the stand and the strip down started. Usual nonsense with the crank arm being seized on to the rusty bottom bracket, but other than that it was simple enough.

P1020339_zps5f5b41ca.jpg

Turns out the BB is JIS (Shimano) and the cranks are ISO (Campag Mirage), but it needs a new BB anyway, so will be putting in an ISO one. I'm also tempted to treat the new frame to a nice pair of chrome bars rather than swap out the black Raleigh ones. I could then sell the Raleigh frame with the (stuck) seat post, stem and bars meaning it would just need a groupset and wheels. Assuming a frame like this has any interest of course.

So currently bike looks like this:

WP_000114_zps4c0a9e9f.jpg

Very pleased with the results so far. Looking forward to getting out and riding.

I might be interested in the Raleigh frame in December, if you'd box it up and post. :)

The build continues and I have sourced some Cinelli bars complete with Cinelli stem and Mirage 8 speed Ergos (or whatever they are called). I have since realised that 8 speed Campag stuff is a bit compatibility challenge, but that's the fun of these things.

Current issue though concerns the bottom bracket. I bought a Tifosi Campag compatible item, but the design of the flange means it won't fit into the frame as it fouls inside. As this photo shows, there's a step inside the bottom bracket shell that the BB can't get past.

Peugeot-1_zps77702b46.jpg

A little closer

Peugeot-2_zps1af89760.jpg

As a result it's going back. Therefore, can anybody recommend a 111mm ISO bottom bracket with an English thread that isn't going to cost more than £30. All the genuine Campag stuff seems to be ££.

Back