Raleigh Equipe - any advice?

RichCollinsUK

Devout Dirtbag
Hi guys, a colleague has offered me his old Raleigh Equipe for free, as a little winter project, possibly a singlespeed. All I know about the frame is that it's white, yellow and grey...

He did just text me some specifications... what do you guys think?

Sachs Huret ECO S derailleur
12 speed
622x28 wheels
Custom Crank
Leech 135A brakes
Guaranteed built with high tensile 18-23 controlled carbon tube

What do you guys make of the spec? Can you tell me anything from that about the year it was made?

It will be circa 1984 probably

One of Raleigh's 'low end' bikes, aimed at the teenage market at the time.

If it's in sensible condition then make use of it!

MrW":1eyqbnxa said:
It will be circa 1984 probably

One of Raleigh's 'low end' bikes, aimed at the teenage market at the time.

If it's in sensible condition then make use of it!

It'll do as a singlespeed bike to ride with the missus on...

Thanks for the info!

widowmaker":210yuecn said:
My brother had one back in then day, was entry level but solid and would make a decent singlespeed.

That is a stupendous signature you have there! Haha!

My LBS is a wicked place to start spec'ing some new gear, but do you have any recommendations for a good cheap set of wheels?

I've got one :D

'84 to '87 I think and they came in about 3 colour schemes. As mentioned, it's an entry level bike. It rides great, even my one which is quite bent. Mine came to me as a bare frame so I also swapped it to a single speed.

One thing I'll say is the 'paint' is certainly stuck on well and whatever it was they used is very very thick :D

Jonny69":3t9sf01h said:
I've got one :D

'84 to '87 I think and they came in about 3 colour schemes. As mentioned, it's an entry level bike. It rides great, even my one which is quite bent. Mine came to me as a bare frame so I also swapped it to a single speed.

One thing I'll say is the 'paint' is certainly stuck on well and whatever it was they used is very very thick :D

Cool! Thanks Jonny. Got any pics of yours? I'm going singlespeed for sure. Any recommendations on parts?

Thanks

Back