Colnago Super 1981 rebuild

hernehill69

Old School Hero
Ok folks here its is,
Don't really know whether I am bold or foolish but here is the Colnago stripped down to nearly its bare essentials...
Pretty sure now that it is a 1981/82 frame similar to that ridden by Freddy Maertens in the 1981 world cup (thanks Deax) and seems to have had some race history judging by the number hanger and info from the PO.
The headset was a bit rough so I thought I should take the opportunity to repack and re-grease it, BB ok though so that's staying in.

I'm going to rebuild it in the spirit of the 81 championship winner but it won't be a replica. So far I've got quite a few bits from the PO, my own collection and some Ebay finds but I still need bars and the right front and back mechs in particular.

If anyone can add anything about the frame or the detailed spec of Maertens bike it would be a great help.

I'm not going to repaint the frame, its in good condition and the few marks add caharacter in my view. But it would be useful to be able to touch up the odd chip and scratch. Does anyone know if you can get the paint?

To be continued....
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0985 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_0985 (800x450).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,370
  • IMG_0988 (450x800).jpg
    IMG_0988 (450x800).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,369
Bike would almost certainly have been Super record in 1981, someone on here will have a more exact idea if you were looking to match bars and rims etc.

As far as touchup goes any professional auto paint store will color your frame's paint for a fee. This is really the best way to go because even if you get the exact paint code the finish on your bike may have faded over the years. Only down side is the minimum purchase is usually a pint (here in the States anyway) which is a bit much for simple touch ups.

Steven

Too right Shaun!.... Unfortunately I don't have all of those lovely Campag bits, but I'm getting there. Still need a nice rear mech and some bars...
Dave

Episode 2....

Headset rebuilt and forks back on. I've touched in the chips and dings, but left the rest of the paintwork as it was. Peugeot Aegean Blue seems like a pretty good match though the local Halfords staff did look at me a bit strangely when I went in carrying the frame trying to match it with their touch up paint.

A couple of things I noticed while it was stripped down:
- It has a number hanger on the top tube which may mean it was originally for a pro or serious rider
- The headset and bottom bracket threads are both British, which I am told means it was manufactured for the UK market, unusual?
- It was apparently originally bought from a bike shop in Romford (but not Rory O'Briens) but the PO can't remember the name. It would be good to find out...

So now I have a frame and a pile of bits. I have divided the bits into probables and possibles (on the left in the photo). The other photo shows Freddy on the '81 Tour riding the bike I'm basing my build on. I don't suppose he had a blue saddle but I like the look of it.

Some of the bits I had already, although they haven't the light of day for a few years. The others I've sourced from here (thanks Tel) and Ebay. I would like some of those Colnago branded bits that you see but they are mostly just too pricey.... Although the components I've selected are not perfectly matched I think they are all more or less in period - but if not any advice would be much appreciated. Wheels are on the way so the next step is to put it all together.

To be continued....

Attachments

• IMG_0990 (1024x575).jpg
    IMG_0990 (1024x575).jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 2,207
  • Maertens Tour 1981 (617x640).jpg
    Maertens Tour 1981 (617x640).jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 2,206
I have never seen a English thread Colnago of this vintage that would be very unusual.

If you were going for a totally period correct build with a 1981 frame then the Nuovo Record front and rear Mechs would work, assuming the "patent" date on the rear is correct. Both chainsets are too new as is the Triomphe brakeset, the Chorus/Triomphe post and the pair of Triomphe/Victory mechs. The NR post may be a bit old fashioned looking for 81 but it works and I like the black pantoed 3TTT stem.

Speaking from a very bad experience, a pretty good match with touch up paint will stick out liks a sore thumb.

Steven

Has to be Nuovo Record Gruppo on this machine - good luck on the build

Nice! Aestheticaly, this is one of the most beautiful colnago's made, in my opinion.

I once read Freddy Maertens rode with track pedals in his Flandria period. Maybe a nice gimmick to your bike, IF he also did this later on in his career :).

Here's a link to a collectors website: http://www.didierdeflandrien.be/index.p ... fiets-1974 . He has an Original Flandria bike raced by Freddy back in the day. It has campagnolo track pedals...

Which raises another question to the old guard over here who was also racing back in the days: did some riders used track pedals on the road? Why? My LBS (who also raced) told me they did cut parts of normal road pedals...

Thanks for your comments and help guys, especially the links to period pictures. I would really like a clearer picture of Freddies 1981 bike as ridden but haven't found a really good one yet - can anyone help?

The frame came to me with some Triomphe/Chorus bits which I think were fitted when the bike was rebuilt in 1985. I agree with Ian that NR is right for this bike (although I do also like the look of the later Record chainset)....

So I'm trying to put together as many period NR bits as I can but in good condition they are quite hard to find and therefore expensive! So some compromise is likely I'm afraid - I am keen to get it on the road and after all I can always swap components if better ones come along later!

Dave

If you'd like a touch of modern the Campag Athena 11 speed Silver polished groupset maybe a nice option as that is polished up very nicely & doesn't look out of place on a steel/alloy frame :)

Back