dg's early 80's Ron Cooper

dg91130

Dirt Disciple
I bought a few months back on ebay, was in a used condition shall we say, I was a little unsure if it was the right thing to do, it was rideable but not where I wanted it, but I could see the potential. So far I have stripped it all down, cleaned, touched in, regreased and built back up, with a few nos but mainly decent used parts I could get hold of and afford. Things changed: bars, stem, brakes chainrings, front/rear mechs, saddle/seatpost, rear hub, chain and freewheel. The rear wheel was built excellently by a local guy in Southend at a very reasonable rate, if anyone needs such a service pm me and i'll give the details.

We've covered a few hundred miles so far and it is a delight to ride, I'm totally smitten with it.

Here's the vitals, hope you enjoy. Thanks so much to any of the people who hooked me up with parts from here to finish the build.

Frame/forks: Ron Cooper frame #009 (1982ish?)

Headset: Campagnolo 304/104
Stem: Cinelli 1A (re-issue)
Handlebar: Cinelli Criterium 65-44
Bar Tape: Cinelli Caleido EVA

Brake Levers/Brifters: Gipiemme 700CA/CC (Crono Sprint)
Brake Calipers: Gipiemme 700CC (Crono Sprint)
Brake Pads: Gipiemme Crono Special

Shifters: Simplex SLJ Retro-Friction
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo NR 1052/NT
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo NR Pat 80
Cassette: Regina BX (14-24)
Chain: New KMC
Cranks: Campagnolo Strada 172.5 (not dated)
Chainrings: Campagnolo NR (54-42)
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo NR
Pedals: Look 136

Rims: Nisi HR-22
Hubs: Mavic 500
Hub Skewers: Mavic 500
Tyres: Veloflex Master

Saddle: Brooks Team Pro
Seatpost: ITM corsa superleggero
Seatpost Binder: Gipiemme

Weight: approx 9.5kgs

IMG_3440 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3442 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3436 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3425 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3360 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3373 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3389 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3372 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3387 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3385 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3371 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3325 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3362 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3358 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3359 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3367 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3388 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3366 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3329 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_3402 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

You done a good job there :cool: I'd like to see a couple more links in your chain as the tension on the campag rear mech spring will have it snapping after awhile.

this is the first cooper with chrome on it. I read somewhere that Ron didn't have a guy to do chrome work.

Looks sweet !!! Not to sure if the numbers correlate or are in order ??

My frame/fork is no. 502 and having info from a chap who worked in a shop that sold them he has mine at 80/81 as his frame 842 I think was 82 he recalls his being one of the first with braze on mounts for shifters..

Either way I love mine irrespective of year and yours looks gorgeous :cool:

Mine has chromed drive side stay .. Maybe added later ??

Col

Thanks so much for the nice words gents.

Tel":1dzd3k8l said:
Very nice indeed! Any before shots?

Tel, I'll try and get a few before shots up later.

Nob":1dzd3k8l said:
You done a good job there :cool: I'd like to see a couple more links in your chain as the tension on the campag rear mech spring will have it snapping after awhile.

I thought it was a little tight too, I went with the Sheldon guide wrapping both the big rings + 1 link and it feels much happier than when I tried a longer length as it was skipping and jumping all over the place and really unpleasant, but that was with the old f/wheel and chain though so with this fresher set up I may have a little more success.... a perfect excuse to have some more intimate tinkering time me thinks now the nights are drawing in :)

Plus one":1dzd3k8l said:
My frame/fork is no. 502 and having info from a chap who worked in a shop that sold them he has mine at 80/81 as his frame 842 I think was 82 he recalls his being one of the first with braze on mounts for shifters..

Thanks a lot Col, that's useful, maybe mine's #600 then, I'll have another look to be sure and try and get some pics, the number is quite vague in presence on the Cinelli bb shell, fairly certain the forks were 009 but i could be mistaken... another good excuse for more intimate times :D :?

Congratulations on the build, that looks absolutely gorgeous! Got to be a Road Bike of the Month contender if you wanted to submit it.

Must admit I've always been partial to a Red Ron Cooper. I missed out on this one a few years ago and always regretted it, wonder where it is now?.....
Are you local to Southend in Essex? If so I'll keep an eye out for you and wave you down.

Well done again!

Steve.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqEOKpYE3uCJ6C9wBN9g1+,uMg~~_12[1].jpg
    $(KGrHqEOKpYE3uCJ6C9wBN9g1+,uMg~~_12[1].jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,550
Stunning Cooper. The red looks really nice, and fast.

It's interesting to see all the little details on RC frames and his frames seem to differ from one another, truly handmade. The triangle "C" on the inside of your head tube, the rack eyelet inside of the dropout, "C" on the brake boss, chrome, and how the seat stays join the seat tube. All these are totally different from mine, and a very nice touch I will add.

My serial # is 234.

Once again, beautiful bike!

Latest posts

Back