Colnago Master Olympic build thread, and request for advice

kiwifraser

Devout Dirtbag
This is both an introduction for me, and a request for help from a keen novice. Reading the forum posts, I think I'm in the right place :) Apologies for the long first post, but here goes.

My father in law was hugely into cycling (primarily road racing), and a big Colnago fan. He recently passed away, and we have a plan to build a tribute bike from the many frames, parts, and a lot of lovely nos kit that he has in his garage.

There are three or 4 Colnago frames from the 70s/80s that are very well used, but there are also a couple that I think are circa 1995 which are great build candidates. The photos are a bit washed out, but they give a good idea

The first is a blue Master Olympic frame which he rode most often as a summer bike for the last 5 years. It has a few marks/ stone chips underneath, and on close inspection a touch of surface rust on bare steel lugs (although that would probably clean up pretty well). As he rode it circa 150 miles a week in mainly dry weather, it has been fitted with what looks like more modern componentry/ bars/ seat/ etc.

keQRuiUB.jpg

The second frame on close inspection looks almost brand new, and is only part built currently. We think it is a Team Rabobank Master Olympic from around '96, and all of the components look older than the blue frame, but almost new condition. It has probably only been ridden a few times in the dry. At the moment, this one looks like the better frame to choose, unless anyone knows better?

oGKAvBlv.jpg

In addition to the kit already on the 2 frames, the spare componentry looks like high quality kit, some of which is nos still in packaging. There is a very wide selection of chainrings, cassettes, race blocks, chains, derailleurs, brakes, seat posts, tyres, etc. There is a brand new white Regal seat, and loads of bars and wheels, which I will work through this weekend. He liked using collecting appropriate era parts for the bikes, although the blue frame obviously has some mix of old and new.

I have a very experienced road cyclist who was a good friend of his helping me put together the best of the parts. He has obviously moved on with the times, as he is on a Felt F1 now!

I have found a couple of pics from internet searches to give me ideas:

This Rabobank Master in the same colours, albeit a CX setup
MG7CW.jpg

This bike I guess is a slightly different year (?) Rabobank frame, as the crank paint is blue, and it is white at the seatpost rather than blue.

P1010830.JPG

Where I need some advice is on what the build should be like, so I have a few questions please:

Is there any specific brands/ designs/ models/ 'looks' I should try to find and use from the collection of parts?

I have considered keeping a full set of age appropriate parts for a later retro build, but using some more modern kit now while it is being used by me on the road. It seems to be what he has done on the blue frame. Good idea, or not?

Any thoughts on keeping the downtube shifters, or changing to more modern brifter combination units to make it more user friendly for a novice? (The is what I am used to currently). I assume they can be changed back and forth if I do a rebuild?

Within his weekly group he was known for always using clips and straps, which I may keep on unless there is a better suggested alternative.

I need the bike set up suitable to actually ride rather than keep as a beautiful showpiece. He loved the Bealach Na Ba which we have done together before (I was on a Cannondale CX bike then), so I will do this climb on the new build and therefore need appropriate ratios fitted. I'm not sure what these should be yet though.

Am I better to start with the better condition Rabobank colour frame?

What else am I missing that I should consider?

All thoughts and ideas much appreciated, and I'll update this thread as I get on with the build :)

Cheers

Re: Colnago Master Olympic build thread, and request for adv

Firstly, welcome Kiwifraser, secondly condolences on your loss.

To the bikes - that is quite some stash you have there and of some considerable quality, Colnago's are highly prized. Don't discount the 70/80's ones - these may be equally as prized as the 90's ones. You have possibly too many options at this moment so my first port of call would be to go through the boxes of parts and list them as found.

That will give you (and the forum) a decent idea of what of where to start. Keeping the parts period & correct is a big thing on here, but of course there's the practicalities you've mentioned. Once you've got the list I suspect that there will be a myriad of opinions, observations and advice for you to take on board or ignore at your pleasure ;)

Looks like you could be busy for quite some period - you may want to get wifi and a heater in the garage - you could be in there for quite some time!

Sad news - condolences.
On a positive note ... what an unbelievable opportunity!
Is this amazing stash in NZ? :)

The man had great taste :D

i have a rabobank lux dream from an ex team rider
in that era, they correct group was dura ace 7700, which is what i have
team bikes have a small silver badge on the top tube with rabobank and the riders names
team issue dura ace 7700 wheels also came with these stickers
great find,sorry for your loss though, please post the earlier stuff

FINNEY1973":1w78qt4f said:
Firstly, welcome Kiwifraser, secondly condolences on your loss.

To the bikes - that is quite some stash you have there and of some considerable quality, Colnago's are highly prized. Don't discount the 70/80's ones - these may be equally as prized as the 90's ones. You have possibly too many options at this moment so my first port of call would be to go through the boxes of parts and list them as found.

That will give you (and the forum) a decent idea of what of where to start. Keeping the parts period & correct is a big thing on here, but of course there's the practicalities you've mentioned. Once you've got the list I suspect that there will be a myriad of opinions, observations and advice for you to take on board or ignore at your pleasure ;)

Looks like you could be busy for quite some period - you may want to get wifi and a heater in the garage - you could be in there for quite some time!

At first look, the 70's/ 80's frames appear very well used, and some have been obviously downgraded to winter bikes over the years (mudguards, etc). I am sure they could be restored, but it is more work than the 2 Master Olympics will be.

I'm heading over today, so will get some pics of the various frames, and components. Hopefully some of you will be knowledgeable enough to recognise/ date them.

oldmuthariley":13t3ls9t said:
Is this amazing stash in NZ? :)

No, It is in Scotland. The username always confuses, as I am from NZ, but have lived in the UK for 14 years.

saarf":npzldmsq said:
i have a rabobank lux dream from an ex team rider
in that era, they correct group was dura ace 7700, which is what i have
team bikes have a small silver badge on the top tube with rabobank and the riders names
team issue dura ace 7700 wheels also came with these stickers
great find,sorry for your loss though, please post the earlier stuff

I'll have a look for a silver team badge when I am there today. Do you have any idea what year/ model the 2 Olympic frames are? I've searched for Rabobank Master images, but come up with 3 different types of colour scheme.

The Rabo colour looks 96 as it has the colnago stamped seat post tube lugg, can't see the first clearly
Rabo decor was popular and marketed as a colour option
Rabo are meant to a left Colnago because they weren't happy with the stiffness, they went to Giant
Rabobank then stopped sponsoring males riders, as the bank does not want to be associated with doping, there is only a rabobank womens team now
I saw the Belkin Giant team frames in a spray chamber pre. the tour, the paint co. i use has the belkin/giant contract

Back